Errors Updating logstash from 8.5.3 to 8.8.0

I have update all my Elasticsearch cluster, and kibana to the version 8.8.0 from 8.5.3, when update Logstash it doesnt start runing and show the next error

[2023-06-08T13:06:33,163][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] You are using a deprecated config setting "cacert" set in elasticsearch. Deprecated settings will continue to work, but are scheduled for removal from logstash in the future. Set 'ssl_certificate_authorities' instead. If you have any questions about this, please visit the #logstash channel on freenode irc. {......}

[2023-06-08T13:06:33,173][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] You are using a deprecated config setting "ssl_certificate_verification" set in elasticsearch. Deprecated settings will continue to work, but are scheduled for removal from logstash in the future. Set 'ssl_verification_mode' instead. If you have any questions about this, please visit the #logstash channel on freenode irc. {......}

[2023-06-08T13:06:33,174][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] You are using a deprecated config setting "ssl" set in elasticsearch. Deprecated settings will continue to work, but are scheduled for removal from logstash in the future. Set 'ssl_enabled' instead. If you have any questions about this, please visit the #logstash channel on freenode irc. {......}
[2023-06-08T13:06:33,915][ERROR][logstash.licensechecker.licensereader] Unable to retrieve license information from license server {:message=>"No Available connections"}
[2023-06-08T13:06:33,944][ERROR][logstash.configmanagement.elasticsearchsource] Failed to fetch X-Pack information from Elasticsearch. This is likely due to failure to reach a live Elasticsearch cluster.
[2023-06-08T13:06:33,946][FATAL][logstash.runner          ] An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<LogStash::LicenseChecker::LicenseError: Failed to fetch X-Pack information from Elasticsearch. This is likely due to failure to reach a live Elasticsearch cluster.>, :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/x-pack/lib/license_checker/licensed.rb:67:in `with_license_check'", "/usr/share/logstash/x-pack/lib/config_management/elasticsearch_source.rb:43:in `initialize'", "org/jruby/RubyClass.java:911:in `new'", "/usr/share/logstash/x-pack/lib/config_management/hooks.rb:41:in `after_bootstrap_checks'", "org/logstash/execution/EventDispatcherExt.java:94:in `execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:363:in `execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.6.0/gems/clamp-1.0.1/lib/clamp/command.rb:68:in `run'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:287:in `run'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.6.0/gems/clamp-1.0.1/lib/clamp/command.rb:133:in `run'", "/usr/share/logstash/lib/bootstrap/environment.rb:90:in `<main>'"]}
[2023-06-08T13:06:33,953][FATAL][org.logstash.Logstash    ] Logstash stopped processing because of an error: (SystemExit) exit
org.jruby.exceptions.SystemExit: (SystemExit) exit
        at org.jruby.RubyKernel.exit(org/jruby/RubyKernel.java:790) ~[jruby.jar:?]
        at org.jruby.RubyKernel.exit(org/jruby/RubyKernel.java:753) ~[jruby.jar:?]
        at usr.share.logstash.lib.bootstrap.environment.<main>(/usr/share/logstash/lib/bootstrap/environment.rb:91) ~[?:?]

If i restore the old version it works fine.
Someone knows what happend? Thank you.

Hi Cristian,

Those are deprecation warnings that you can remediate using the recommendations in the particular warning.

If looks like Logstash is not able to connect to Elasticsearch. Can you check your connection and certificate information as per this thread?

1 Like

If i dont update Logstash it work with ssl and certificates and all, the only thing that changes are the version, no one of the config files changes, then i udtade Logstash and it start trowing erros.
I've redone the ssl and certifiacte configuration and it doesn work

I've hit a known bug for Logstash in 8.8 when upgrade to 8.8.0/8.8.1 with xpack.management.elasticsearch.ssl.certificate_authority configured in Logstash with centralized management setup.
The cause is a bug introduced after SSL standardization.
The solution is update the Elasticsearch output plugin to 11.15.8 or higher:
bin/logstash-plugin update logstash-output-elasticsearch

Double check version:

bin/logstash-plugin list --verbose | grep logstash-output-elasticsearch

​OR
Specify ca_trusted_fingerprint setting in the logstash.yml
i.e. with CA ca.cert, it can be grabbed with

cat ca.cert | openssl x509 -outform der | sha256sum | awk '{print $1}'

Then set the following on logstash.yml using the output from the previous command (i.e. "abbc1bd27074502451217955ffcf203770659ca70735ec3a6e2a980c6ee73a5e"):

xpack.monitoring.elasticsearch.ssl.ca_trusted_fingerprint: "abbc1bd27074502451217955ffcf203770659ca70735ec3a6e2a980c6ee73a5e"
xpack.management.elasticsearch.ssl.ca_trusted_fingerprint: "abbc1bd27074502451217955ffcf203770659ca70735ec3a6e2a980c6ee73a5e"
1 Like

Hello,

Not working for me after upgrading to 8.8.1.
(no plugin found on /bin/logstash also).

There is some link about this error:

Case created on my side for an official recommandation

For the noob like me:
The real path is /usr/share/logstash, then apply the command provided below:

And the workaround is OK

1 Like

Yes the route /bin ... is relative the complete is what you've post

all is especified here

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.