ES 5.1.1- Using slices with the reindex from remote

I'm testing a 1.7.5 migration to 5.1 using the reindex-from-remote upgrade path. I tried to use automatic slicing with the Reindex API.

curl -XPOST localhost:9200/_reindex?slices=24 -d '{
    "source": {
        "index": "index_name",
        "remote": {
            "host": "http://remote-es-cluster:9200"
        }
    },
    "dest": {
        "index": "index_name"
    }
}'
{
  "error": {
    "reason": "Validation Failed: 1: reindex from remote sources doesn't support workers > 1 but was [24];",
    "root_cause": [
      {
        "reason": "Validation Failed: 1: reindex from remote sources doesn't support workers > 1 but was [24];",
        "type": "action_request_validation_exception"
      }
    ],
    "type": "action_request_validation_exception"
  },
  "status": 400
}

I previously used manual slicing successfully and I was looking forward to replacing that with auto slicing. Maybe I misunderstood and auto slicing was never supposed to work with reindex from remote? Any input would appreciated.

Looking at the linked comment on the PR implementing the change, it looks to me like the feature is just not implemented yet:

So it didn't get included in the v5.1.1 release? There is a mention of this feature in the release notes and there are documentation about it. Maybe the docs and release notes should be updated to reflect that it isn't released yet :slight_smile:

well, it's just not supporting reindex-from-remote yet. /cc: @nik9000

I see. Might be an ok idea to point that out in the docs until it get's implemented.

I see. Might be an ok idea to point that out in the docs until it get's implemented.

I completely agree with that.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.