Remote reindex of large index using manual slicing

Hello,

We are trying to do a remote reindex from a source index on 5.1.1 to a destination index on 5.3.2. The source index has ~6 billion docs, so we want to manually slice to parallelize. I read over the reindex documentation and am a bit confused about the scroll context. It says that manually slicing uses scrolls, but I don't see a way to set the scroll context time setting? I tried adding "scroll=5m" to the URL, but get an exception saying it's unrecognized for the _reindex endpoint. In the documentation's example, they simply create 2 slices and seem to execute both at once, but we cannot do that. We can only submit a few slice IDs at a time else we get socket timeout exceptions (I have tried increasing this value with no luck).

Basically we want to manually slice (by say 100 slices), and then execute 10-20 slice IDs at a time, and continue doing 10-20 till we finish all 100 slices. However, these 10-20 slices will take hours to complete, and I am not sure how to keep the scroll context alive for that long using the reindex API.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.