Es 7 and docker single node cluster

I'm trying to get a single node docker node up and running for testing. It seems things have changed since 6.7 and it now aborts with a "the default discovery settings are unsuitable for production use; at least one of [discovery.seed_hosts, discovery.seed_providers, cluster.initial_master_nodes] must be configured"

So, what's the magic docker incantation for a bog standard single node cluster intended for development?

BTW. I noticed the docker image has gotten progressively more fussy about settings over the 6.x release. It seems to want all sorts of configuration; which is appropriate for production use but not for development.

So, please update your documentation and error message to make it very clear how to run ES using docker for development (or as in my case, integration tests) as it currently isn't.

To run the docker image in development mode, you should set discovery.type to single-node. The single-node discovery type is explained here.

BTW. I noticed the docker image has gotten progressively more fussy about settings over the 6.x release. It seems to want all sorts of configuration; which is appropriate for production use but not for development.

Not setting single-node discovery is probably the reason why you've run into the bootstrap checks on 6.x.

2 Likes

Thanks, I'd still recommend making this more obvious in the docker documentation. There is an enormous amount of documentation and literally anyone trying out Elasticsearch via docker is going to run into this.

That's a good suggestion. We will look into this.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.