ES behaviour with characters like $ and @ in a query?

I'm trying to test out how our system (and ES) actually change what a user is submitting into a query and what the expected response back should be. I have a post that has in it's content "Nee$ha". So I have submitted the search query of "nee$ha". In the response, I noticed that the highlighted information that comes back is:
"[bold]nee[/bold]$[bold]ha[/bold]"

When I run nee$ha through the analyzer, I notice it gets split into two tokens:

curl -X GET "localhost:9200/_analyze" -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
     {
        "analyzer": "standard",
        "text": "nee$ha"
    }'

Response:

{"tokens":[{"token":"nee","start_offset":0,"end_offset":3,"type":"<ALPHANUM>","position":0},{"token":"ha","start_offset":4,"end_offset":6,"type":"<ALPHANUM>","position":1}]}%

What I can't quite figure out, is what is actually happening in ES. I think it's turning it into an AND query, requiring for both nee and ha in the same result. And that the $ essentially is considered a delimiter between words much like a . or ,. It's being passed into the query as "query": "content:(\"nee$ha\")" so it hasn't been explicitly turned into an AND and our default operator is an OR.

Is this the right interpretation? And, more so, how do I get it to actually search for the $ and not ignore it?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.