ES is rejecting my geo_point object

Hello,
I am having some trouble understanding why my geo_point object is being rejected by ES.
I am using serilog (with the elasticsearch sink) to feed data into elasticsearch and kibana to display the results.

If i have a new ES index, and i set the following template (this is the only change from default that i do)

PUT _template/template_geopointtest
{
  "index_patterns": [
    "logstash*"
  ],
  "mappings": {
    "logevent": {
      "properties": {
        "fields": {
          "properties": {
            "location": {
              "type": "geo_point"
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}  

To send the geo_point to ES, I use this line
Log.Information("{name}{@location}{@value}{property}", name, 2000, "Temperature");

Because the above line has the @ symbol in front of the word "location", the location object will be deconstructed into a JSON object and sent to ES in that format.
e.g. like this (sorry about the formatting, the editor doesn't seem to be recognizing it as formatted text)
{
"_index": "logstash-2019.03.01",
"_type": "logevent",
"_id": "eOOLN2kBosvpV7qDsM5l",
"_version": 1,
"_score": null,
"_source": {
"@timestamp": "2019-03-01T15:38:16.4592112+11:00",
"level": "Information",
"messageTemplate": "{name}{@location}{@value}{property}",
"message": ""MyDesk"Location { lat: 34.7797508239746, lon: 32.927131652832 } 594"Temperature"",
"modulename": "MyDesk",
"location": {
"_typeTag": "Location",
"lat": 34.77975082397461,
"lon": 32.92713165283203
},
"value": 594,
"property": "Temperature"
}
},
"@timestamp": [
"2019-03-01T04:38:16.459Z"
]
},
"sort": [
]
}

BUT i get the following error

Failed to store event with template '{name}{@location}{@value}{property}' into Elasticsearch. Elasticsearch reports for index logstash-2019.03.01 the following: {"type":"mapper_parsing_exception","reason":"failed to parse","caused_by":{"type":"parse_exception","reason":"field must be either [lat], [lon] or [geohash]"}}

Am i getting this error because of the "_typeTag" element that exists in the location object?
If so, any i dea on how i may remove the element from the sending side or modify the receiving side to accept the object?
Thanks for your help
Cheers
Stuart

That's probably the problem, can you remove it?

Thanks for answering. I have (just now) found a way to remove that tag and elasticsearch now picks up my location correctly
:slight_smile:

Oh, and the way i removed that element was in the initialisation of serilog, i put in this line
.Destructure.ByTransforming<Location>(r => new{ lat=r.lat,lon=r.lon})

which basically says, when serilog pulls apart the location object, only include the lat and lon elements in the resulting json

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.