Exception when installing S3 plugin

I’ve received the following exception when trying to install the S3 plugin on one of the new nodes. I was able to install it on my older nodes and don’t recall running into this problem before.

• JRE: openjdk-11-jre-headless
  • ES: 6.2.2
sudo bin/elasticsearch-plugin install repository-s3
Exception in thread "main" javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:214)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1974)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1926)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.handleException(SSLSocketImpl.java:1909)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1436)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1413)
	at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.afterConnect(HttpsClient.java:567)
	at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.connect(AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.java:185)
	at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl.connect(HttpsURLConnectionImpl.java:163)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.urlExists(InstallPluginCommand.java:306)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.getElasticUrl(InstallPluginCommand.java:273)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.download(InstallPluginCommand.java:229)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.execute(InstallPluginCommand.java:221)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.execute(InstallPluginCommand.java:212)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.MultiCommand.execute(MultiCommand.java:75)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginCli.main(PluginCli.java:48)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty
	at java.base/sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.<init>(PKIXValidator.java:89)
	at java.base/sun.security.validator.Validator.getInstance(Validator.java:181)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.getValidator(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:330)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrustedInit(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:180)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:192)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:133)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.checkServerCerts(ClientHandshaker.java:1947)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1777)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(ClientHandshaker.java:264)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Handshaker.java:1098)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.processRecord(Handshaker.java:1026)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.processInputRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1137)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1074)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:973)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1402)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1429)
	... 15 more
Caused by: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty
	at java.base/java.security.cert.PKIXParameters.setTrustAnchors(PKIXParameters.java:200)
	at java.base/java.security.cert.PKIXParameters.<init>(PKIXParameters.java:120)
	at java.base/java.security.cert.PKIXBuilderParameters.<init>(PKIXBuilderParameters.java:104)
	at java.base/sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.<init>(PKIXValidator.java:86)
	... 30 more

This sounds like a broken java installation. I recommend you try purging the java package completely and reinstalling.

I just tried to install it on the second node that I have added today, and it gives the same error. Which JRE do you recommend that I install?

Just tried

sudo apt-get install default-jre

and tried installing the plugin again and am getting the same error.

Are you suggesting that I first run:

sudo apt-get purge openjdk-\* 

and then reinstall?

Ok fixed. purged that JRE and installed Oracle JDK 10 and it is working fine now — thanks!

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linuxuprising/java
sudo apt update
sudo apt install oracle-java10-installer

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.