Exclude empty-string, null and non-existant

How does one query for all documents having a field with non empty value? (aka mandatory value)

I can exclude the null values or non existing fields via the exists (negated) query, but I also need to ensure that the values is not an empty string.
From what I know an empty string is a non-null value, so it will be included in results from exists query.

What's the best (smartest & most performant) way to do this filtering?

• could use a script to check for the property field.length > 0, but I don't like to rely on scripting languages in my queries (if not strictly needed); also I suppose is not ideal for performances.
  • could use a "wildcard": { "fieldname": "?*" } together with the must exists query. It's the solution I am using at the moment but, still, I believe there must be some better performing way than using regular expressions.
  • could maybe (?) use some parameter for the exists query so that also empty strings are treated as null/non-existing value.

What I want to achieve is to treat empty-string, null and non-existing as the same (kind of "invalid value").

Also, an additional/optional curiosity is if it makes sense (and how) to do a trim of the field value, to exclude strings like " ".

I was using the missing query for the opposite case (empty field).
Is it completely deprecated? Should I always use the must_not-exists query instead?

Looks like using "wildcard": { "fieldname": "?*" } is the best solution at the moment.
But I am not sure how it scales when the wildcard+exists check is performed on more than one field.
Not sure how much could it slow down the search.

Please, could anybody with solid experience enlighten me?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.