Existing index and lifecycle policy

Hello,
I need some help, I've seen many web pages how to configure it but none of them were helpfull.

My existing index (daily index) is

filebeat-exch-8.7.1-2023.05.30

I have created lifecycle policy

2-days

when I want to add this policy to my index I got this

What should I do to fix this? I don't have any Data Streams or Index Templates.

@Alexis_Roberson I am a bit surprised by this response and have a few questions.

When ILM was first introduced I believe it was possible to use it with rollover indices (data streams did not exist at that point) as well as more traditional time-based indices where each index covers a set time period with the time period indicated in the name, which seems to be what the poster is using.

The key to using ILM with non-rollover indices was to not have a rollover action in the policy. This would them if I remember correctly base phase transitions on the indexcreation timestamp rather than the rollover timestamp.

In your response you specify that an index alias need to be created, which I was not expecting. Does this mean that ILM now only can be used with rollover type indices and that traditional time-based indices no longer are supported? If that is the case, when was this change made?

@Christian_Dahlqvist Thanks for providing insight on this. It could be a misunderstanding on my end. Based on the section regarding managing indices without data streams, I drew this conclusion. Let me remove my response as it can be confusing and unhelpful for those viewing this question.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.