Fielddata is disabled on various fields - new install of winlogbeats

I have a the following setup:
3 - EL Cluster Servers v8.5
1 - Logstash Server v 8.5
1 - Kibana Server v8.5
2 - Windows 2019 Domain Controllers with winbeats installed connecting to the logstash server.

When I try and open any WinlogBeat Dashboard I get various errors, like:

Fielddata is disabled on [winlog.provider_name] in [winlogbeat-8.5.3-2023.10.23]. Text fields are not optimised for operations that require per-document field data like aggregations and sorting, so these operations are disabled by default. Please use a keyword field instead. Alternatively, set fielddata=true on [winlog.provider_name] in order to load field data by uninverting the inverted index. Note that this can use significant memory.

The [] [winlog.loglevel] and various other ones. Since this is a new install here is how I did the install on one of the DCs:

  1. Installed the winlogonbeat-8.5.3.msi
  2. Modified the C:\ProgramData\Elastic\Beats\Winlogbeats\winlogbeat.yml with the kibana IP and Elasticsearch cluster IPs and event log information:
  - name: Application
    ignore_older: 72h
  - name: System
    ignore_older: 72h

  - name: Security
    event_id: 1102, 1104, 1108, 4624, 4625, 4646, 4672, 4698, 4700, 4720, 4723, 4725, 4727, 4728, 4731, 4732, 4740
      - drop_event.when.not.or:
        - equals.winlog.event_id: 4754
        - equals.winlog.event_id: 4756
        - equals.winlog.event_id: 4767
        - equals.winlog.event_id: 4771
        - equals.winlog.event_id: 4776
        - equals.winlog.event_id: 4780
        - equals.winlog.event_id: 4782
        - equals.winlog.event_id: 4798
        - equals.winlog.event_id: 4799

  - name: Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational
    level: critical, error, warning
  - name: Windows PowerShell
    event_id: 400, 403, 600, 800
  - name: Microsoft-Windows-PowerShell/Operational
    event_id: 4103, 4104, 4105, 4106
  - name: ForwardedEvents
    tags: [forwarded]

## Domain Controller Only

  - name: DFS Replication

  - name: Directory Service

  - name: DNS Server

  - name: Active Directory Web Services
  1. Ran the .\winlogbeat.exe test config -c .\winlogbeat.yml -e and all is good
  2. Ran .\winlogbeat.exe setup -e to setup all the assets
  3. When this completed I changed the winlogbeat.yml file to send data to logstash and not elasticsearch
  4. Started with Start-Service winlogbeat

On the logstash server the config file:

[root@r2-logstash ~]# cat /etc/logstash/conf.d/beats.conf 
input {
  beats {
    port => 5044

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => ["","",""]
    index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{[@metadata][version]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"

I log into Kibana and see the dashboard and Index Management and several pages of various dates, winlogbeat-8.5.3-2023.09.07
winlogbeat-8.5.3-2023.09.06, etc.

So it looks like the data is getting into the elasticsearch cluster.

I'm extremely new working with the ELK stack. Not sure why the standard configurations would display errors. I have tried the install a couple times, deleted all the index's tried winlogbeat setup --index-management and other things I could find, but still having issues.

I'm at a loss on where to look at next.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.