Filebeat apache2 configuration

Hi All,

I am just trying elastic cloud and want to forward my apache logs into the cloud. I am getting my website up and running using XAMPP

The installation location is at C:\AppServ

I try to enable apache2 module and edit the configuration to meet my apache2 logs location but the logs never shown on the dashboard

This is the configuration i made

• module: apache2

Access logs

access:
enabled: true
var.paths: ["C:\AppServ\Apache24\logs\access.log*"]

Error logs

error:
enabled: true
var.paths: ["C:\AppServ\Apache24\logs\error.log*"]
I try to run \filebeat.exe setup but got this error

Hi @cahlasem and welcome! :slight_smile:

As the path contains backslashes, they have to be enclosed between single quotes (var.paths: ['C:\AppServ\Apache24\logs\access.log*'] or escaped (with double backslash \\).

Hi @jsoriano Thanks for your help, i think it works now because there is no error when i run filebeat setup. But in the Kibana Dashboard and Discover menu i do not see any logs coming in, i already triggered a lot of logs into my dummy website.
Where to check whether filebeat already sent the logs to the cloud or failed in reading the logs?

You can check filebeat logs, there will appear any error. You can also see in the logs when filebeat starts reading a file on lines like:

INFO    log/harvester.go:228    Harvester started for file: C:\AppServ\Apache24\...

If you don't see any of these lines, check that the paths where apache is writing match the path you configured in var.paths.

Now i can get it work, the next problem is that Kibana or Elastic ( i am not sure which one) changed my timestamp into their timezone like seen below. Where is the configuration to make elastic/kibana stick into my logs timestamp?

You can use the var.convert_timezone option, that reads the local timezone and uses it to parse the timestamp in the logs and convert it to UTC.

Already set var.convert_timezone to true and in the kibana i got beat.timezone field is added, but the conversion to UTC is not made, i am running the latest elasticsearch, kibana and filebeat
Any additional configuration i missed?

Should i add var.convert_timezone in every modules that i enabled? i just tried in system modules only

Kibana shows dates in the timezone of your browser by default, you can see the @timestamp value really stored in elasticsearch looking at the JSON tab.

You can change the timezone kibana uses with the dateFormat:tz setting in the Advanced Settings in the management tab.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.