Filebeat "make update" fails on 7.0

Hey there :slight_smile:

I just had a cool presentation of the Beats ecosystem, and more particularly of FileBeats
I think it's very cool and would like to write a component for an application of my company.

Having followed the documentation (for example https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/devguide/current/beats-contributing.html) it seems the 7.0 branch of the github repo doesn't work as expected, or that I'm missing something obvious

Basically, make update fails.

This is what I get on 7.0:

Summary
\u279c  filebeat git:(7.0) VIRTUALENV_PARAMS="-p python2.7" make clean update
/home/rmasson/.magefile cleaned
mage update
Generated fields.yml for filebeat to /home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/filebeat/fields.yml
No fields files for module apache2
Generated fields.yml for filebeat to /home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/filebeat/fields.yml
>> Building filebeat.yml for linux/amd64
>> Building filebeat.reference.yml for linux/amd64
>> Building filebeat.docker.yml for linux/amd64
Generated fields.yml for filebeat to /home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/filebeat/build/fields/fields.all.yml
Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-install-t_9xr8ol/functools32/
Error: running "/home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/build/ve/linux/bin/pip install --quiet -Ur /home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/libbeat/tests/system/requirements.txt" failed with exit code 1
make: *** [Makefile:13: update] Error 1

While on 6.7 it seems to work as expected:

Summary
\u279c  filebeat git:(6.7) VIRTUALENV_PARAMS="-p python2.7" make clean update
/home/rmasson/.magefile cleaned
Running virtualenv with interpreter /usr/bin/python2.7
New python executable in /home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/filebeat/build/python-env/bin/python2.7
Also creating executable in /home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/filebeat/build/python-env/bin/python
Installing setuptools, pip, wheel...
done.
DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 will reach the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 won't be maintained after that date. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.7.
DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 will reach the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 won't be maintained after that date. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.7.
docker-compose 1.23.1 has requirement PyYAML<4,>=3.10, but you'll have pyyaml 4.2b1 which is incompatible.
find: warning: you have specified the -maxdepth option after a non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-maxdepth affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other arguments.

find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-mindepth affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it).  Please specify options before other arguments.

Updating generated files for filebeat
mkdir -p include
go run  ../dev-tools/cmd/asset/asset.go -license ASL2 -pkg include -in fields.yml -out include/fields.go filebeat
if [ -d /home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/filebeat/_meta/kibana ]; then \
        cp -pr /home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/filebeat/_meta/kibana/* /home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/filebeat/_meta/kibana.generated ; \
fi
>> The index pattern was created under /home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/filebeat/_meta/kibana.generated/5/index-pattern/filebeat.json
>> The index pattern was created under /home/rmasson/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/filebeat/_meta/kibana.generated/6/index-pattern/filebeat.json

Is there something I missed in the setup?

Cheers,
Rémy

Hmmm, I just tried running make update on the 7.0 branch and am unable to reproduce the issue you are seeing. I'm running Python 2.7.15 and pip 19.0.3. I ran my command outside any virtualenv.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.