First thoughts on ES|QL

Dear all,

We are currently trying out the new ES|QL query language and as far as I have used it it is a great improvement! The flexibility and the relatively easy grammar will surely make this my preferred language in the stack.

Of course, there is always room for improvement, so here are a few things I would like to change:

1. Timeouts
    I tried ES|QL in Discover and the query always timed out after 30 seconds - independent of the Search Timeout setting in the advanced settings. ES|QL should either adhere to the search timeout settings or get a separate configurable timeout.
  2. Link to the ES|QL reference
    The link to the ES|QL reference on the right side of the query window of discover is not as intuitive as I would like (but maybe this is personal preference?).
    Compact version:

Expanded Version:

Personally, I would prefer a place where it is nearer to the query code:
  3. False Syntax errors
    While elasticsearch does not seem to care about case sensitivity, Kibana does not like some uppercase keywords. For example: | STATS cnt = count(_id) BY service.name causes Kibana to show the error:

mismatched input 'BY' expecting {, PIPE, 'by', 'and', COMMA, 'or', '+', '-', '*', '/', '%'}

1. Show Chart
    The option to create a chart directly in Discover using ES|QL is great but it is too hidden:

Similar to the ES|QL reference, I would like a direkt and easily accessible way to show/hide the chart:

Best regards
Wolfram

4 Likes

Hi @Wolfram_Haussig,

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. We greatly appreciate it. I'll circulate this internally with the team.

Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.