Getting "security_exception: action [indices:admin/settings/update] is unauthorized" on indexes with policies updated by a new user

This is for an ES cluster running v7.8.1.

I'm trying to automate pushing updates to our ILM policies and (legacy) templates, so I have a shell script that curls the appropriate json via a new ES user called "template_manager" (user was created by hand via Kibana). This user has a single "template_manager" role with the cluster permissions "manage_ilm" and "manage_index_templates". After I run my script using this user's credentials, the indexes using the updated policies show errors like these:

security_exception: action [indices:admin/rollover] is unauthorized for user [template_manager]

and

security_exception: action [indices:admin/settings/update] is unauthorized for user [template_manager]

It seems this user needs additional credentials? How do I line up these error messages with the permissions I need to give the account?

1 Like

The role would need to contain the manage index privilege which will allow your user to perform these two actions

1 Like

That seems to have done it. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.