Having trouble adding node to ES cluster

Hi all,

I am currently having some trouble adding a second node to my ES cluster. I have been at it for a couple of days and doing research, but none of the search hits have yielded me with any positive results.

Running ES in a Windows VM environment as follows:

Win Server 2012 R2 - masternode1 - Original 5.4.0 node - 10.0.140.32
Win Server 2012 R2 - slavenode1 - new 5.4.0 node to be added to cluster. - 10.0.140.28

This is my elasticsearch.yml file settings for both nodes:

cluster.name: escluster
node.name: masternode1
network.host: 10.0.140.32
http.port: 9200
discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts: ["10.0.140.32","10.0.140.28"]

(#)discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes: 2
node.master: true
node.data: true

cluster.name: escluster
node.name: slavenode1
network.host: 10.0.140.28
http.port: 9200
discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts: ["10.0.140.32","10.0.140.28"]

(#) discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes: 2
node.master: true
node.data: true

I understand the ideal setup would be to have 3 node to prevent split brain, but if I'm not mistaken setting both nodes with node.master and node.data to "true" will prevent split brain. Please correct me if this is incorrect. I would like to add a third node to the cluster in the near future, but I need to get two nodes working first.

Things to note:

1. If I remove the comment in front of discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes: 2, it will break Kibana for some reason. I get the error seen below:

1. When I remove the comment in front of discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes: 2, I still see only one node in the cluster when I check 10.0.140.32:9200/_nodes.

2. I'm not entirely sure if I need any further details in the elasticsearch.yml files for each node to join the new node into the cluster.

Could someone please tell me where I am going wrong. Please try to keep it simple as I haven't been using ES for very long and still learning how to build this system.

Thanks in advanced. Your time is appreciated.

BMV

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.