Heap requirements of _optimize

I've been performance testing a 3 node ES 1.7 cluster (16GB RAM/8GB Heap, 256GB SSD) with logging data - for example two indicies around 128GB each, 5 shards, no replicas.

As it's logging, I wanted to test out _optimize. If I try to optimize down to 1 segment I get an out of memory exception, in fact the smallest number I can go down to without out of memory error is 4. Does a segment have to fully fit in memory for _optimize (or forcemerge in 2.0+)? I've done some simple testing but can't confirm this on synthetic data.

Nope.

What does the OOM actually show.

It's a java.lang.outofmemoryerror - will post the full output on Monday

Make sure you aren't calling a force merge on an index you're currently writing to. After you have finished indexing, then you should call _optimize on the index that is effectively read-only.

There are a great many reasons that a JVM can run into a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError, and many of them do not involve the heap being exhausted. Please read the detail of the message carefully and post it here.

[2016-02-16 13:32:09,088][DEBUG][action.admin.indices.optimize] [node1] [logstash-2015.02.01], node[a4HtxNaFRZ-7Yd7Vk-JcUQ], [P], s[STARTED]: failed to execute [OptimizeRequest{maxNumSegments=1, onlyExpungeDeletes=false, flush=true, focce=false}]
org.elasticsearch.transport.RemoteTransportException: [node2][inet[/192.168.0.5:9300]][indices:admin/optimize[s]]
Caused by: org.elasticsearch.index.engine.OptimizeFailedEngineException: [logstash-2015.02.01][2] force merge failed
           org.elasticsearch.index.engine.InternalEngine.forceMerge(InternalEngine.java:829)
           org.elasticsearch.index.engine.shard.IndexShard.optimize(IndexShard.java:734)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: this writer hit an unrecoverable error; cannot complete forceMerge
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.forceMerge(IndexWriter.java:1819)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.engine.InternalEngine.forceMerge(InternalEngine.java:817)
        ... 10 more
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at org.apache.lucene.util.packed.Packed64SingleBlock.<init>(Packed64SingleBlock.java:53)
        at org.apache.lucene.util.packed.Packed64SingleBlock$Packed64SingleBlock1.<init>(Packed64SingleBlock.java:256)
        at org.apache.lucene.util.packed.Packed64SingleBlock.create(Packed64SingleBlock.java:221)
        at org.apache.lucene.util.packed.Packed64SingleBlock.create(Packed64SingleBlock.java:211)
        at org.apache.lucene.util.packed.PackedInts.getReaderNoHeader(PackedInts.java:784)

another time:

Caused by: java.io.IOException: background merge hit exception: _t6j(4.10.4):C11989155 _t6i(4.10.4):C7342178 _d8t(4.10.4):C5657347 into _t6k [maxNumSegments=1]
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.forceMerge(IndexWriter.java:1819)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.engine.InternalEngine.forceMerge(InternalEngine.java:817)
        ... 10 more
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at org.apache.lucene.util.packed.Packed64SingleBlock.<init>(Packed64SingleBlock.java:53)
        at org.apache.lucene.util.packed.Packed64SingleBlock$Packed64SingleBlock4.<init>(Packed64SingleBlock.java:328)
        at org.apache.lucene.util.packed.Packed64SingleBlock.create(Packed64SingleBlock.java:227)
        at org.apache.lucene.util.packed.Packed64SingleBlock.create(Packed64SingleBlock.java:140)
        at org.apache.lucene.util.packed.PackedInts.getReaderNoHeader(PackedInts.java:784)
        at org.apache.lucene.codecs.lucene49.Lucene49NormsProducer.loadNorms(Lucene49NormsProducer.java:198)

another time:

Caused by: org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeAbortedException: merge is aborted: _t6j(4.10.4):C11989155 _t6i(4.10.4):C7342178 _d8t(4.10.4):C5657347 into _t6k [maxNumSegments=1] [ABORTED]
        at org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$OneMerge.checkAborted(MergePolicy.java:201)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.MergeState$CheckAbort.work(MergeState.java:199)
        at org.apache.lucene.codecs.DocValuesConsumer.mergeNumericField(DocValuesConsumer.java:129)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeNorms(SegmentMerger.java:133)

Looking at the _segments API while it's merging, the memory_in_bytes of the segments in a shards is growing close to the size of my heap - does the optimize force all the norms to be loaded which could cause the out of memory error? This is an old dataset with lots of analyzed fields.

@warkolm Any thoughts?