How can I stop using X-Pack? (official ES 5 Docker image)

Hi, I use Elasticsearch via the Docker image ( FROM docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch:5.5.2) and I've attempted to disable all X-Pack stuff.

However, E.S. logs warnings every 10 minutes it seems:

LICENSE [EXPIRED] ON [SUNDAY, OCTOBER 01, 2017]. IF YOU HAVE A NEW LICENSE, PLEASE UPDATE IT. OTHERWISE, PLEASE REACH OUT TO YOUR SUPPORT CONTACT.

I don't want these warnings, how can I stop ES from logging them?

I've attempted to disable all X-Pack stuff in elasticsearch.yml:

network.host: 0.0.0.0
discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes: 1
action.auto_create_index: false

# X-Pack is included in the ES image. Disable it, otherwise some license needed.
xpack.security.enabled: false
xpack.watcher.enabled: false
xpack.monitoring.enabled: false
xpack.graph.enabled: false
xpack.ml.enabled: false
# Results in an exception about invalid config value:
#xpack.reporting.enabled: false

But nevertheless ES logs that warning message. It warns about all these modules: "security, watcher, monitoring, graph, ml" although I have disabled them already.

How can I disable all X-Pack stuff and get rid of all warning messages?

(Otherwise ES works fine :- ))
Regards, KajMagnus

The simplest option is to install a free "basic" license in your docker image. You can go here https://register.elastic.co/ and receive a free license to use x-pack monitoring (if you wish to) as well as other features like additional zoom levels in Kibana, and our upgrade assistant. That free license has a 1 year expiry (which you can simply renew when you need to).

This referred to in the 2nd "NOTE" at the top of the docker reference documentation. Those docs also say you can disable security, but as you have noted, this doesn't fix the license warning. I'll arrange to have the docs fixed.

The other option is to uninstall x-pack entirely from your instance, but that is not always simple in a docker environment.

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. In my case, installing a license manually isn't a great alternative — I'm building an open source app, which other people might also install, and telling other people to go and download a license once a year ... would make the open source app more complicated to use.

The other people will need only 1 single ES node (it's a "small" app — the other stuff in the app isn't replicated either, for example there's just 1 Postgres database, only 1 app server etc) — so I'm thinking the X-Pack features aren't so important in this case.

So in my case I maybe it'd be better to not install X-Pack at all, then. Maybe I can copy & edit the Dockerfile here: https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch-docker/blob/5.6/templates/Dockerfile.j2 and comment out the lines that install X-Pack, and only keep these plugins: ingest_plugins = 'ingest-user-agent ingest-geoip'. ... Maybe I would also need to somehow skip this test: elasticsearch-docker/tests/test_xpack_basic_index_crud.py if it runs automatically when building the image, and would fail after I've commented out the X-Pack stuff.

(If you have any thoughts about this, it'd be interesting to hear :- ))

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.