How i can upgrade elasticsearch 5x to 6x?

Hi all, I have a graylog server with 1.5 billion records. How can I upgrade elasticsearch from version 5 to version 6 without losing all the data that I have now? The instructions on the site are not clear to me. I dont have a cluster, i just havet 1 server with elastic and graylog.

HI @Uporaba,

FIrst, Please ensure that you have backup of your all data before performing this activity. Because without data rollback is not possible in case of any issue while upgrading.
For backup please use snapshot and restore module.

For upgrade, You can follow the same as mentioned in below documents and you can skip the steps which is related to cluster setting as you have only 1 node.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/restart-upgrade.html

Please do let me know in case of you have further query.

Regards,
Harsh Bajaj

i need to backup all VM or only elastic?

You need to backup of your elasticsearch data i.e. indices.

How i can make this? I just 1st time use elasticsearch and dont know how make backup elasticsearch data.

Hi @Uporaba,

You can use snapshot ans restore module for the same and below is documentation link.
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/modules-snapshots.html

Regards,
Harsh Bajaj

Hi, i have some problems. Wen i write curl -X PUT "localhost:9200/_snapshot/my_backup" -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d' { "type": "fs", "settings": { "location": "/media/hdd" } } ' in console i get {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"exception","reason":"failed to create blob container"}],"type":"exception","reason":"failed to create blob container","caused_by":{"type":"access_denied_exception","reason":"/media/hdd/tests-ViVV6jp7TTqSj-JOxZpiBw"}},"status":500} What does this mean and how to fix it?

okay, i think what im solved the problem i used this command chown -R elasticsearch:elasticsearch is this true decision?

Hi @Uporaba,

In your error it is showing "type":"access_denied_exception".

Yes, please change the directory access as you shown and do let me know if you still facing any issue.

Regards,
Harsh Bajaj

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.