How many users can access Elasticsearch and Kibana at the same time?

Hi,

I am running a Elasticsearch and Kibana(V8.10) instance on a single windows server which has 8vCPU and 32gb of RAM.

I would like to get a rough idea on how much load can the Elastic and Kibana instance can handle at a time. The usage would be fairly simple multiple users accessing the dashboards which is created on an index with 400k documents roughly 300mb of data.

I understand it completely depends on the queries and the complexities of the query to elastic based on what i've read on the forum. I would just like to have an estimate of how many users can comfortably access the dashboards with very minimal visualization load.

Could you please advise on what Rally metric should I look at in order to get this figure? i'm very new to this. if you could please point me to any instructions on how to do this, i would be of really great help thank you.

There is no hard limit that I know. but 400k document and 300mb is nothing for elasticsearch which handles millions of documents and displays properly.

I have dev instance which has Millions of document in index but I have not hit any snag on it. But my instance is Linux just FYI.

Thank you for your response Sachin!

Have you by any chance ran Rally and performed any sort of test on how many Clients can access your instance at the same time? or do you have a rough ball park figure?

I don't have Rally installed and checking regularly. But I get about 50 user connecting on/off and no problem.

1 Like

Hi @stramzik Let's turn this around a bit :slight_smile:

How many users do you expect?

How Many users do you expect concurrently?

What type of queries / dashboards will they be doing...

Simple Filters? Simple Text? Aggregations?

Did you put Kibana on the Same Server as Elasticsearch?

What else is running on that server?

BTW Rally benchmarks Elasticsearch not Kibana.

1 Like

Thank you Sachin

Hi @stephenb

How many users do you expect?
Around 50-100

How Many users do you expect concurrently?
Probably 15-20

What type of queries / dashboards will they be doing...
Simple Filters? Simple Text? Aggregations?
Simple filters nothing complex

Did you put Kibana on the Same Server as Elasticsearch?
Yes, Both

What else is running on that server?
Nothing

BTW Rally benchmarks Elasticsearch not Kibana.
I see, so is there a way to really get a number on how many users can access the Kibana platform for the above usage mentioned?

That is very little data, so I hope you have created the index with a single primary shard.

You have enoughmemory for a large heap and enough left over for the entire index to fit in the operating system page cache. This is ideal for supporting high levels of query concurrency as you will not be limited by disk I/O as the data fits in memory.

If you have simple and not overly large dashboards I would expect the hardware you have in place to easily support the number of users you mentioned.

1 Like

Yes, The index is on single primary shard.

Understood, Thank you for the explanation.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.