How to add more masters to a cluster of one master whilst avoiding split-brain and downtime?

I have a three node cluster with 1 master-data node and 2 data-only nodes. I want to make this into a 3 master-data node cluster without any downtime. To this effect, I planned to do the following:

1. First, set discovery.zen.minimum_master: 2 setting dynamically via the REST API.
  2. Second, set node.master and node.data to true in the config file of each data node and restart - one at a time.

However, this may lead to split-brain since the current discovery.zen.minimum_master setting default to 1, and I have been suggested to do a full cluster restart to avoid this. But since that will cause downtime, is there a way around this?

But if I do a rolling restart (after changing cluster quorum to 2 dynamically) whereby I change config on one data node (to make it master-data node) and restart, there could still be a split-brain since current master will self-elect while new master-eligible nodes would elect master too as they need 2 nodes to elect master. Hence, I have been suggested to do a full cluster restart to avoid this. But since cluster restart will cause downtime, is there a way around this?

Elasticsearch version is 1.5

No, there is at present no fully reliable way to change a cluster from having a single master node to having two master nodes for exactly the reasons you describe (although 2 to 3 works fine since no change to minimum_master_nodes is required). The only truly safe way to do this is with a full cluster restart.

1.5 hit end-of-life over two years ago, and has known resilience bugs. You should upgrade. Perhaps you could stand up a newer cluster alongside this one, use reindex-from-remote to copy the data across, and then cut across to your new cluster without downtime.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.