How to add two fields using Timelion?

Hello,

I am trying to add the values of system.cpu.system.pct & system.cpu.user.pct and get the total cpu usage for this particular server.

I have the following query:

(.es(index=metricbeat-*, q='beat.hostname:server1', timefield='@timestamp', metric='sum:system.cpu.system.pct').label(system.cpu.system.pct).multiply(100), .es(index=metricbeat-*, q='beat.hostname:server1', timefield='@timestamp', metric='sum:system.cpu.user.pct').multiply(100).label(system.cpu.user.pct))(.sum(.es()).label('Total CPU'))

I am expecting to see the total cpu usuage to be around 15% or so, but i am getting this huge graph of 1750000.

Actual values :

system.cpu.system.pct - 5.28%

system.cpu.user.pct - 0.101

Please see screenshots.

This graph shows the values for the two fields

This should be the result of adding the above fields.

Thanks for the help!

-Mock

@thomasneirynck/@timroes any ideas?

Thanks,
Bhavya

hi @cchooks2,

That .sum looks to be in an odd spot.

You would do something like:

.es(...first-series..).sum(.es(...second-series....))

2 Likes

First let me ask: is there a specific reason, you are not simply visualizing the system.cpu.total.pct field instead? :slight_smile:

The rest is as Thomas mentioned.

2 Likes

@thomasneirynck,

Thanks for the info ... my new query is:

.es(index=metricbeat-*, q='beat.hostname:server1', timefield='@timestamp', metric='sum:system.cpu.system.pct').label(system.cpu.system.pct).multiply(100), .es(index=metricbeat-*, q='beat.hostname:server1', timefield='@timestamp', metric='sum:system.cpu.user.pct').label(system.cpu.user.pct).multiply(100), .es(index=metricbeat-*, q='beat.hostname:server1', timefield='@timestamp', metric='sum:system.cpu.system.pct').multiply(100).sum(.es(index=metricbeat-*, q='beat.hostname:server1', timefield='@timestamp', metric='sum:system.cpu.user.pct').multiply(100)).label('Total CPU')

Which is working now.

Thanks

@timroes,

So this system.cpu.total.pct field will give me the total cpu used? I do not see this field as part of the available fields. We are using Metricbeat 5.5.

Will I need to divide it by the number of cores i have to get the actual cpu usage?

Thanks.

Hi Steven,

yeah that metric wasn't available in 5.5, but is available in more recent versions.

You can divide by the number of cores if you want a number between 0 to 100%, but I would say the actual CPU usage in a unix world is specified as 0.0 to 4.0 (if you have 4 cores). So I would totally get what 2.6 (or 260%) means if I see that, but that might be depending on your personal preferences :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tim

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.