How to Analyse requests per minute and transactions per minute

Kibana version: 7.8.0

Elasticsearch version: 7.8.0

APM Server version: 7.8.0

Hi Team

I've installed APM and everything seems to be working fine. However, I'm unable to understand the number of requests per second for my application. Because it's continuously changing when I change time frame.

In the above screenshot time is set to last 24 hours and requests per minute says 2.3 rpm ? what does it mean ?

when i change it to last one hour rpm is 16.5. how is it calculated ?

Also, how to calculate exact number of requests for application in last one hour, and last 24 hours ?

Please explain.

Thank you

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry for the confusion. The purpose of request/min (rpm) and transactions/min (tpm) is to show the average throughput (number of requests) over a period of time.

The value in legend is the average number of requests per minute for the selected time range. So in your case there was an average of 2.3 requests/min for 24 hours. This is calculated as <total number of requests> / <duration>. If we calculate backwards we can find the total number of requests as: 24 * 60 * 2.3 = 3312 requests

Again, this is the average for the selected time range. So 990 requests occurred during the hour (60*16.5).

I hope that answers your question. If not, don't hesitate to reach out again.

3 Likes

interesting @sqren

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.