How to apply relevance ranking to ES indices?

Hello,

Can anyone guide me use of relevance ranking in elasticsearch. Is there any relevance ranking modules available in ES? And how relevance ranking is used in ES?

Thanks & Regards,
Priyanka

What do you mean by relevance ranking exactly?

Hello @warkolm,

Thanks for your reply!!

Relevance ranking is nothing but when a search is executed, there are various factors that determine which records should be returned as a match. Or we can call it as field weighting.

If we have relevance ranking module for our application, named as NTerms . (NTerms is nothing but number of terms)

For example, in a three-word query, results that match all three words will be ranked above results that match only two, which will be ranked above results that match only one.

Regards,
Priyanka Yerunkar.

Lucene, and thus Elasticsearch, are built on BM25 if that helps.

Hello @warkolm,

Thanks for update!!!!
BM25 is some algorithm to calculate score of results and depending upon that search results will be displayed. And this score is calculated by default when we search in ES indices.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Priyanka

That is correct.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/7.1/similarity.html might be of interest.

Hello @warkolm,

Thanks for quick update!!
So apart from this score factor, ES does not have any relevance ranking module?

Regards,
Priyanka

There are plugins to do it, but other than what is in the docs no.

Hello @warkolm,

Could you help me to find out plugins?

Thanks,
Priyanka

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.