How to change ignore_above?

I have an index with an auto-generated mapping (see attachment).

The field "log4j_root_cause" contains a Java stacktrace that might be quite lengthy.
After importing data, I see that there are many documents that have a full stacktrace in log4j_root_cause.
However, for many of those, the field log4j_root_cause.keyword is empty, even though field log4j_root_cause is not.

I assume that has to do with the content of log4j_root_cause being longer than 256 (the value of ignore_above).

How can I change this?

I tried this:
curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/log4j2-generic/_mapping/javastacktrace' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
"properties": {
"log4j_root_cause": {
"ignore_above": 20000,
"type": "keyword",
"index":"true"
}
}
}
'
but it gave me
{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"mapper [log4j_root_cause] cannot be changed from type [text] to [keyword]"}],"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"mapper [log4j_root_cause] cannot be changed from type [text] to [keyword]"},"status":400}

I also tried to download the entire index (which resulted in the file I linked to above), changing the limit in that file, and then dropping and recreating the index with this:

curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/log4j2-generic' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d @<my file>

but that resulted in

{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"unknown setting [index.log4j2-generic.mappings.doc.properties.@timestamp.type] please check that any required plugins are installed, or check the breaking changes documentation for removed settings"}],"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"unknown setting [index.log4j2-generic.mappings.doc.properties.@timestamp.type] please check that any required plugins are installed, or check the breaking changes documentation for removed settings"},"status":400}

Ultimately, I just want to be able to do visualizations based on log4j_root_cause regardless of how long that field is. How do I do that? The visualization editor only lets me select the .keyword versions of the field, that's why I figured I need to change the length limit.
What is the right way to do this?

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.