How to change the target location of a snapshot repo?

Hi all,

I need to move my snapshot files to a different bucket on S3 - I accidentally put my snappies on a Glacier-enabled bucket, which kills snapshotting when the metadata files get taken offline into Glacier.

If I move all my files to a new bucket, how do I point the elasticsearch snapshot repo at the new location? Do I delete the old repo and re-register it at the new location and it will just 'pick up' from the copied files? Or is there perhaps a way to just update the target fields?

Currently my snapshot config looks like this - I want to change the bucket name and probably the base_path. The files will theoretically be identical (just waiting on AWS advice re: bulk restore of Glacier files)

{
  "s3-backup-production" : {
    "type" : "s3",
    "settings" : {
      "bucket" : "my-silly-glacier-bucket",
      "base_path" : "elk-elasticsearch/production",
      "max_retries" : "3",
      "region" : "us-east-1",
      "compress" : "true"
    }
  }
}

I couldn't glean from the docs how to deal with this situation. Thanks for any advice,

Paul

You can create a new repo, then manually copy the files from glacier to S3. Or delete the repo and recreate it with the new location.

You cannot update the existing repo to point to a new location as far as I know.

Thanks for the quick reply, warkolm!

I'll copy the files across, then destroy/recreate the index (the name fits into a backup script we have).

Thanks for the info

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.