How to display custom metrics of "openTelemetry" by "service.name" ?

I have reported some custom metrics through "openTeletemtry". I would like to be able to customize the data charts in the "metrics" module within "APM".Or is there another way to generate different graphs by different "service.name"?
I see "go pprof" data when I use "go.elastic.co/apm" to report data, which module in "APM" can I see this information?

I have reported some custom metrics through "openTeletemtry". I would like to be able to customize the data charts in the "metrics" module within "APM".Or is there another way to generate different graphs by different "service.name"?

You cannot currently customise the Metrics panel. You can use Lens instead. I'll demonstrate how you can do that.

Say for example your application reports a metric called ex.com.one, like in the opentelemetry-go getting started guide: Getting Started | OpenTelemetry. These metrics will be written to indices matching the pattern apm-*-metric-*, and will look something like this:

{
  "_index": "apm-8.0.0-metric-000001",
  "_id": "I_VB8HoBV8NbQ8CgPGVv",
  "_score": 1,
  "_source": {
    "agent": {
      "name": "opentelemetry/go",
      "version": "1.0.0-RC1"
    },
    "processor": {
      "name": "metric",
      "event": "metric"
    },
    "metricset.name": "app",
    "observer": {
      "hostname": "goat",
      "id": "152d9100-2793-4c91-8de2-6314be9e1783",
      "ephemeral_id": "1d233a8e-fbb4-4bac-a2b3-9abd45aae8a5",
      "type": "apm-server",
      "version": "8.0.0",
      "version_major": 8
    },
    "@timestamp": "2021-07-29T03:14:04.030Z",
    "ex.com.one": 1,
    "ecs": {
      "version": "1.10.0"
    },
    "service": {
      "name": "unknown_service_otel-collector",
      "language": {
        "name": "go"
      }
    },
    "event": {
      "ingested": "2021-07-29T03:14:05.038237154Z"
    }
  }
}

You can find these documents in Discover in Kibana, and find the metric field you are interested in visualising:

When you click Visualize, you will be taken to the Lens app. You can then set "Break down by" to the service.name field:

I see "go pprof" data when I use "go.elastic.co/apm" to report data, which module in "APM" can I see this information?

The APM UI does not currently support visualising pprof data.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.