How to input CSV files into Logstash from a front end UI?

Hi all,

I am developing a JavaScript application (Backend in Node.js and Frontend in Vue.js), wherein I want to send CSV data into logstash from the front end or UI, i.e, the user can choose any CSV file from local system and upload it into logstash, which will then be sent to elasticsearch for analysis.

I am not sure or aware of a way to do this. Is there a mechanism to achieve this? If so, can someone please help me out? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

Three options come to mind:

• The backend can store the CSV in a directory that a file input in the Logstash configuration is monitoring with a wildcard.
  • The backend can post the CSV to Logstash if you set up an http input.
  • The backend can push the CSV to a message broker (Redis, RabbitMQ, Kafka, ...) that Logstash pulls from.

Thanks a lot for the information. Posting the CSV to Logstash is the most suitable option for me. Below is my logstash configuration.

input {
  file {
    path => "E:/Downloads/health-data/*.csv"
    start_position => "beginning"
  }
}
filter {
  csv {
     separator => ","
     columns => ["Date","Blood Glucose","Blood Pressure","Weight","Height","BMI" ]
  }
}
output {
   elasticsearch {
     hosts => "http://localhost:9200"
     index => "health-metrics"
  }
stdout {}
}

My Node.js server is running on port 3000 (localhost). I am assuming I don't need the local path as I will be posting from the server. So, I am unable to figure out how the logstash file should be configured. Could you please help me how I can configure the above config file to make a post request to logstash from my Node.js server?

Just add an http input. I think the port is the only option you need to configure.

I strongly suggest you replace the elasticsearch output with a stdout { codec => rubydebug }. Get the input and filters working as you want and only then worry about getting it into ES.

Thanks,

I am trying to send the CSV files from a file system. The logstash configuration monitors for the any files in the directory. Here is the logstash configuration,

input {
  file {
    path => "E:\Downloads\Server\public\uploads\*.csv"
    start_position => "beginning"
  }
}

filter {
  csv {
    separator => ","
    columns => ["Date","Blood Glucose","Blood Pressure","Weight","Height","BMI"]
  }
}

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => "http://localhost:9200"
    index => "health-metrics"
  }
  stdout {
    codec => rubydebug
  }
}

I checked if the configuration is fine by running the following command,

.\logstash -f csv_data.conf --config.test_and_exit

The configuration is OK.

But when I try to pipe the data into Elasticsearch, I don't see any index created on the ES server.

Here is the screenshot of my CSV file,

files-1535150705952

What is wrong with the configuration? Could you please help me out?

As I said, comment out the elasticsearch output and make sure you're getting Logstash to process input files.

I think you need to change the filename pattern to use forward slashes instead of backslashes, i.e. E:/Downloads/Server/public/uploads/*.csv instead of E:\Downloads\Server\public\uploads*.csv.

Thanks a lot! It is working now. How do I parse the "Date" field so that it serves as a @timestamp for displaying visualizations on Kibana based on the date on X-axis?

Use a date filter.

I did use the date filter.

filter {
  csv {
    separator => ","
  }
  date{
    match => ["Date", "MM/dd/yy"],
    target => "Date"
  }
}

But, I get an error like this

PS E:\elk\logstash\bin> .\logstash -f csv_data.conf --config.test_and_exit
Sending Logstash's logs to E:/elk/logstash/logs which is now configured via log4j2.properties
[2018-08-27T12:34:58,327][WARN ][logstash.config.source.multilocal] Ignoring the 'pipelines.yml' file because modules or command line options are specified
[2018-08-27T12:34:58,769][FATAL][logstash.runner          ] The given configuration is invalid. Reason: Expected one of #, } at line 14, column 34 (byte 294) after filter {
  csv {
    separator => ","
  }
  date{
    match => ["Date", "MM/dd/yy"]
[2018-08-27T12:34:58,779][ERROR][org.logstash.Logstash    ] java.lang.IllegalStateException: Logstash stopped processing because of an error: (SystemExit) exit

What wrong am I doing?

Remove the comma at the end of the match line.

Thanks! Also, how do I parse the fields (Blood Glucose, Height, Weight, etc) so that I can use them as fields on the y-axis of kibana visualizations?

Convert the fields to numbers, I guess? The csv filter's convert option can assist with that. Keep in mind that the existing mapping of a field in an ES index can't be changed, so after adjusting the configuration you need to reindex your data (e.g. by deleting the existing index).

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.