How to install filebeat as a service and start it everytime windows start?

I'm installing filebeat in client PCs and basically, I don't want them seeing what filebeat does. I want to install it as a service in windows, run it everytime their machine starts and read from a defined directory (not default)

I've installed it as a service following the guide but if I'm not mistaken, I have to manually type in
Start-Service filebeat
to run the service and it doesn't read from the log file I defined in the prospector (it works if I start filebeat via the command line normally)

Is there a way to do this? Thank you

Once you have enabled the filebeat service it will start-up automatically when the machine boots, so you do not need to continually run Start-Service filebeat. Give it a test, reboot the machine and see.

Thanks. will give it a try in a while. Does it always use the configuration file in the filebeat root directory when it autostart?

Yes, the path to the config file is specified in the service's properties.

Thanks for the assistance. It's now running as a service and automatically starts during windows startup.

For those who will be having this issue in the future, here are the steps I did.

1.) Download and extract filebeat.
2.) Important create the configuration first.
3.) Install as service using Powershell.
4.) Start the service using Start-Service filebeat.
5.) You can now close the powershell window. It will automatically start now even when windows restart.

*I think the reason why it did not work for me before was that I installed the service before I did the configuration.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.