How to "merge" same name indices

Hello all,

I am running into an issue where I am receiving the following error:
can not be imported as a dangling index, as index with same name already exists in cluster metadata

I know that I am getting this error because I have an index that is named graylog_2 and I am attempting to "merge" and old graylog_2 index.

My question, is how do I do this correctly? The old graylog_2 index has old data from months ago that I am looking to get reimplemented to our graylog cluster and the new graylog_2 index has information from a few days ago, that is also necessary to have.

Thanks.

The simplest way would be to open the old index in another cluster and reindex it into the new index using reindex API.

Hey Igor,

Thanks for the reply on this.
So would this mean, that I could take the folder structure from one server to another server, rename it and then move the newly reindexed node back to the original server?

I attempted to test this and received an error along the lines of Limit of total fields [1000] in index [] has been exceeded and I am not sure why.
If I am reindexing, it shouldn't be creating new fields right?

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this.

What I am attempting to do, is take the folder structure of my index, move it temporarily to another elasticsearch cluster (A sandbox that was built) and reindex it.
Is there a better way of doing this or is this the incorrect way of doing this?

Unfortunately, my inexperience with elasticsearch seems to make this process more daunting than I expected.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.