How to pass the aggs top 1 value to the query

I am trying to create an alert using ElasticDSL 7.17 query. I need to filter the documents based on certain condition and group the documents on a field and get the top first group. My query should match only the top grouped value. The below query matches only the filter criteria and i want to filter further with the top grouping name . SO i need to pass the aggs top field to the query somehow. Is it possible. Pls help.

{
  "size": 0,
  "aggregations": {
    "my_agg": {
      "filter": {
        "bool": {
          "must": [
            { "term": { "service.name": "inputservicename" }},
            { "term": { "grouping_key": "inputkey" }}
          ]
        }
      },
      "aggs": {
        "top_my_field": {
          "terms": {
            "field": "grouping_name",
            "size": 1
          }
        }
      }
    }

},
  "query": {
    "bool": {
      "must": [
        { "match_phrase": { "service.name": "inputservicename" }},
        { "match_phrase": { "grouping_key": "inputkey" }}
      ]
    }
  }
}

You can do a top_hits aggregation and use the sort option to sort by whatever field makes that the "top one".

With the existing query, I am able to fetch the top first grouping name. I want to include this top grouping name in the query part so that the number of matched documents will be further more reduced. If i don't pass the top grouping name to the query part, the documents is just filtered by servicename and key. Instead i want to filter by service name ,key and the top value of grouping name. I am concerned on the number of matching documents because i am creating an alert if the number of matching documents > 10 ( for Ex).

It's not clear to me, are you using the elasticsearch query rule type? Elasticsearch query | Kibana Guide [8.7] | Elastic

You mentioned 7.x, the doc above is for 8.7. There are some additional features in 8.7, including grouping, which does a top-level agg. It may fit your needs.

Also note that in 7.x, the only top-level fields we use in the DSL are query - So aggregations should be completely ignored when the rule runs. In 8.7, we also allow fields, _source and runtime_mappings, to fine-tune the query a bit more, and control what is output for fields.

1 Like

Patrick is correct - if you truly require the use of aggregations, you'll need to use Watcher, not Kibana Alerts.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Yes that's the issue am facing, aggs are ignored while rule runs. Thanks for making it clear, that it is how 7.17 behaves.

Thanks for the suggestion! Will try to use watcher instead.