How to reduce fuzziness in App search & reduce irrelevant search results?

HI,
We get lots of extra results in we search for a particular key word which might not be a direct match and causes the results to be irrelevant,
For example,
If I search for "whale" , i get "whale", "whale_test" as expected but also "whatever" , "whatsapp" in results,
Though the others have a lesser score i want to avoid such results,

We also tried with "whale" with quotes however it only returns exact match even skipped "whale_test"

Please help with your suggestions on how to reduce irrelevant search results also having some level of fuzziness present.

Thank you,
Subhasis

1 Like

Hi Subhasis,

The new precision tuning feature sounds exactly like what you're looking for!

You can use precision tuning to search with a different level of precision and recall—​tightening or loosening the term and phrase requirements needed for a document to be considered a match to a given query.

Hope that helps,
Nick

1 Like

Hi Subhasis, if you are using API to query Elastic, then you might want to provide more parameters. We use the fuzzy parameter on 'auto' and that is default. With parameters described here:
Fuzzy query | Elasticsearch Guide [7.15] | Elastic

you should be able to control the fuzzyness in more detail (transpositions ok?, how many characters may be fuzzy? etc.)

Hope this helps!
Sander

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.