How to safely migrate from one mount to another mount in Elasticsearch to store the data


(shriyansh jain) #1

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them to store
data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of the two
nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say /auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without loosing any
data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(Mark Walkom) #2

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo, or start
with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: markw@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyanshajain@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them to store
data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of the two
nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say /auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without loosing any
data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEM624aPBZLB0i-y-_JFJFJzVVLiZBz3VDiJUYTt%2BduUZ-Br6Q%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(shriyansh jain) #3

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go with way,
which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo, or
start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain <shriyan...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them to
store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of the
two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without loosing
any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(Mark Walkom) #4

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory, give it
the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: markw@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyanshajain@gmail.com wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go with way,
which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo, or
start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them to
store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of the
two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without loosing
any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEM624bMQP2HW4UxbV%3DX81fN-M0r7diZ9HVyZFRDcf9Q0P6mrA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(shriyansh jain) #5

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one of the 2
nodes to some other location, wont it loose the data stored by that node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory, give it
the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain <shriyan...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go with way,
which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo, or
start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them to
store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of the
two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without loosing
any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/eb602b14-4d3e-430c-93d8-935da98af66a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(shriyansh jain) #6

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one of the 2
nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory, give it
the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain <shriyan...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go with way,
which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo, or
start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them to
store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of the
two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without loosing
any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(Mark Walkom) #7

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will startup
with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will still be
located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the node
starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy the
data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: markw@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyanshajain@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one of the
2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory, give it
the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go with
way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo, or
start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them to
store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of the
two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without loosing
any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEM624YSXt_0L4W%3DNfA_3PjxyMz%2BXKZi0SS2noQQ3qdb0pOJWw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(shriyansh jain) #8

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there any
possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will startup
with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will still be
located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the node
starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy the
data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain <shriyan...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one of
the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory, give it
the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go with
way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo, or
start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them to
store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of the
two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(Mark Walkom) #9

Why do you want to do this if you are worried about data loss?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: markw@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:50, shriyansh jain shriyanshajain@gmail.com wrote:

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there any
possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will
startup with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will
still be located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the node
starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy the
data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one of
the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory, give
it the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go with
way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo, or
start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them to
store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of the
two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa
9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEM624aLS5rnLmjGc5zCWnnnt17m8kei1STW8Qz1jiaE3rZYkQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(shriyansh jain) #10

Just to make sure if /auto/share goes down I have data in /auto/foo.

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:55:59 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Why do you want to do this if you are worried about data loss?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:50, shriyansh jain <shriyan...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there any
possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will
startup with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will
still be located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the node
starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy the
data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one of
the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory, give
it the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go with
way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo,
or start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them
to store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of
the two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa
9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/25fac8f0-6714-4b84-a522-982de2c72fc3%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(shriyansh jain) #11

To make sure if /auto/share goes down, I have data in /auto/foo. And I am
short of space on /auto/share. Mainly bcz of these 2 reasons.

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:55:59 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Why do you want to do this if you are worried about data loss?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:50, shriyansh jain <shriyan...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there any
possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will
startup with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will
still be located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the node
starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy the
data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one of
the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory, give
it the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go with
way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo,
or start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them
to store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of
the two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa
9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/713e283c-ee82-45fb-aa32-22b648c86279%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(Mark Walkom) #12

This is why you have replicas, they give you redundancy at a higher level
that the filesystem,
If you are still concerned then you should add another node and increase
your replicas.

Playing around on the FS to create replicas is only extra management
overhead and likely to end up causing more problems than it's worth.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: markw@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:59, shriyansh jain shriyanshajain@gmail.com wrote:

Just to make sure if /auto/share goes down I have data in /auto/foo.

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:55:59 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Why do you want to do this if you are worried about data loss?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:50, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there
any possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will
startup with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will
still be located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the node
starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy the
data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one of
the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory, give
it the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go with
way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo,
or start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them
to store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of
the two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa
9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e2
3-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/25fac8f0-6714-4b84-a522-982de2c72fc3%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/25fac8f0-6714-4b84-a522-982de2c72fc3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: markw@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 12:01, shriyansh jain shriyanshajain@gmail.com wrote:

To make sure if /auto/share goes down, I have data in /auto/foo. And I am
short of space on /auto/share. Mainly bcz of these 2 reasons.

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:55:59 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Why do you want to do this if you are worried about data loss?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:50, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there
any possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will
startup with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will
still be located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the node
starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy the
data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one of
the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory, give
it the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go with
way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo,
or start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them
to store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of
the two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa
9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e2
3-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/713e283c-ee82-45fb-aa32-22b648c86279%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/713e283c-ee82-45fb-aa32-22b648c86279%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEM624ZJDcxoBuUqapPh0tgKJZsNpPEYfvW7zLNp7VyhsqPrsQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(shriyansh jain) #13

I got your point sir, but if my entire /auto/share goes down. Then I wont
have any chance to recover the data in /auto/share.
Is there any other way to recover the data.?

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 7:03:34 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

This is why you have replicas, they give you redundancy at a higher level
that the filesystem,
If you are still concerned then you should add another node and increase
your replicas.

Playing around on the FS to create replicas is only extra management
overhead and likely to end up causing more problems than it's worth.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:59, shriyansh jain <shriyan...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

Just to make sure if /auto/share goes down I have data in /auto/foo.

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:55:59 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Why do you want to do this if you are worried about data loss?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:50, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there
any possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will
startup with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will
still be located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the node
starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy the
data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one
of the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory,
give it the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go
with way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo,
or start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them
to store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of
the two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa
9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e2
3-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/25fac8f0-6714-4b84-a522-982de2c72fc3%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/25fac8f0-6714-4b84-a522-982de2c72fc3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 12:01, shriyansh jain <shriyan...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

To make sure if /auto/share goes down, I have data in /auto/foo. And I am
short of space on /auto/share. Mainly bcz of these 2 reasons.

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:55:59 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Why do you want to do this if you are worried about data loss?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:50, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there
any possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will
startup with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will
still be located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the node
starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy the
data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one
of the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory,
give it the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go
with way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo,
or start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them
to store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of
the two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa
9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e2
3-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/713e283c-ee82-45fb-aa32-22b648c86279%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/713e283c-ee82-45fb-aa32-22b648c86279%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/12b4934d-f116-46ea-a0f8-ef40aa88e1e5%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(Mark Walkom) #14

Apart from replica's, that's really outside the scope of what ES provides.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: markw@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 12:12, shriyansh jain shriyanshajain@gmail.com wrote:

I got your point sir, but if my entire /auto/share goes down. Then I wont
have any chance to recover the data in /auto/share.
Is there any other way to recover the data.?

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 7:03:34 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

This is why you have replicas, they give you redundancy at a higher level
that the filesystem,
If you are still concerned then you should add another node and increase
your replicas.

Playing around on the FS to create replicas is only extra management
overhead and likely to end up causing more problems than it's worth.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:59, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Just to make sure if /auto/share goes down I have data in /auto/foo.

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:55:59 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Why do you want to do this if you are worried about data loss?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:50, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there
any possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will
startup with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will
still be located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the node
starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy the
data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one
of the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory,
give it the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go
with way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to
/auto/foo, or start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured
them to store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point
one of the two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the
data say /auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
it, send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.
com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.
com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.
com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.
com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/25fac8f0-6714-4b84-a522-
982de2c72fc3%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/25fac8f0-6714-4b84-a522-982de2c72fc3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 12:01, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

To make sure if /auto/share goes down, I have data in /auto/foo. And I
am short of space on /auto/share. Mainly bcz of these 2 reasons.

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:55:59 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Why do you want to do this if you are worried about data loss?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:50, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there
any possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will
startup with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will
still be located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the node
starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy the
data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one
of the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory,
give it the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go
with way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to
/auto/foo, or start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured
them to store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point
one of the two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the
data say /auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
it, send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa
9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e2
3-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-304
1-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/713e283c-ee82-45fb-aa32-22b648c86279%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/713e283c-ee82-45fb-aa32-22b648c86279%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/12b4934d-f116-46ea-a0f8-ef40aa88e1e5%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/12b4934d-f116-46ea-a0f8-ef40aa88e1e5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEM624ZgQgss7%3D4DHYmYm0%3D3FgCGCp4hBjoSOvpWoKL7OfBP5Q%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(shriyansh jain) #15

Thank you for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 7:23:50 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Apart from replica's, that's really outside the scope of what ES provides.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 12:12, shriyansh jain <shriyan...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

I got your point sir, but if my entire /auto/share goes down. Then I wont
have any chance to recover the data in /auto/share.
Is there any other way to recover the data.?

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 7:03:34 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

This is why you have replicas, they give you redundancy at a higher
level that the filesystem,
If you are still concerned then you should add another node and increase
your replicas.

Playing around on the FS to create replicas is only extra management
overhead and likely to end up causing more problems than it's worth.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:59, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

Just to make sure if /auto/share goes down I have data in /auto/foo.

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:55:59 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Why do you want to do this if you are worried about data loss?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:50, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there
any possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will
startup with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will
still be located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the
node starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy
the data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one
of the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory,
give it the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go
with way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to
/auto/foo, or start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured
them to store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point
one of the two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the
data say /auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
it, send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.
com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.
com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.
com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.
com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/25fac8f0-6714-4b84-a522-
982de2c72fc3%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/25fac8f0-6714-4b84-a522-982de2c72fc3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 12:01, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

To make sure if /auto/share goes down, I have data in /auto/foo. And I
am short of space on /auto/share. Mainly bcz of these 2 reasons.

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:55:59 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Why do you want to do this if you are worried about data loss?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 11:50, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com wrote:

As you mentioned the node will not lose the data completely, is there
any possibility that it will lose some data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:17:54 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you point the instance to a new data location then yes, it will
startup with no data, but it won't lose the data completely as it will
still be located in your original /auto/share directory.

However given you have replicas set what will happen is when the
node starts up pointing to the new location it will simply start to copy
the data from the other node so that you fulfil your replica requirements.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:58, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Yes, I have set index.number_of_replicas: 1. If I just point one
of the 2 nodes to some other location, wont it lose the data stored by that
node.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:34:48 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

If you want no data in /auto/foo then just create the directory,
give it the right permissions and then update the config to point to it.
It's the same process you did for /auto/share.

Do you have replicas set on your indexes?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:32, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

I would prefer with no data in /auto/foo.? But would like to go
with way, which is efficient and more reliable.

Thank you,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to
/auto/foo, or start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain shriyan...@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured
them to store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point
one of the two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the
data say /auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without
loosing any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
it, send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa
9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e2
3-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/2dbadd5f-5e23-4e6b-8cf5-9a8bb31c4328%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-304
1-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/01d32d9d-3041-4fb7-babe-0e73e3908b31%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40goo
glegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/13131192-405a-43b9-ab56-62ff894c8237%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/713e283c-ee82-45fb-aa32-22b648c86279%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/713e283c-ee82-45fb-aa32-22b648c86279%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/12b4934d-f116-46ea-a0f8-ef40aa88e1e5%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/12b4934d-f116-46ea-a0f8-ef40aa88e1e5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/e5dde499-0970-4b8a-8064-dac1e7e7d8f2%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(shriyansh jain) #16

I would like to know one more thing, what would be steps if I want to copy
the data from /auto/share to /auto/foo for a particular node.?

Thanks,
Shriyansh

On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:26:39 PM UTC-7, Mark Walkom wrote:

Do you want to copy the existing data in /auto/share to /auto/foo, or
start with no data?

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 19 August 2014 08:23, shriyansh jain <shriyan...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

Hi,

I have a Elasticsearch Cluster of 2 nodes. I have configured them to
store data at the location which is /auto/share. I want to point one of the
two nodes in the cluster to some other location to store the data say
/auto/foo.
What would be the best way of achieving the above task without loosing
any data.? And is it possible to do that without loosing any data.?

Thank you,
Shriyansh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/415f8d41-4fa9-4f6d-86b9-41b2059ab67f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/c427919f-b8f1-4286-9302-0869d2aa7b5a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


(system) #17