How to search file path field value in Kibana?

New to Kibana and need some help understanding escaping special characters. Basically what I'm trying to do is take what I know in splunk and wildcard searching substrings of eventlog fields. Below is what I tried but replaced the actual file names with example.

I ingested some events with winlogbeat and verified that I can see data by adding a filter for winlog.event_id:1 and saw only those relevant events. To practice KQL, I put process.command_line:*example* and saw that the events were narrowed down to command line with that in the string. I saw that C:\WINDOWS\system32\example.exe was part of some of the events so I changed it to process.command_line:*system32\\example* to narrow it down further and escaping the backslash, but no results.

I'm still learning the Elasticsearch. Below is a portion from the request when I inspected.

"query": {
    "bool": {
      "must": [],
      "filter": [
        {
          "bool": {
            "should": [
              {
                "wildcard": {
                  "process.command_line": "*system32\\wsl*"
                }
              }
            ],
            "minimum_should_match": 1
          }
        },

What am I missing?
I saw similar posts saying to add further escapes. I tried 4 backslashes but no results still. 3 backslashes returns a search error.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.