How to send Jaeger traces to Elastic Cloud

I have Jaeger working inside Kubernetes and I would like to know if it is possible to send the traces to Elastic Cloud, but I have not found much information about it, almost all the examples were with local elastic instances, but not with the Elastic Cloud service.

Can you tell me if it is possible and what do I need? because I understand that I will have to authenticate in some way with the Elastic instance and it is not clear to me if I need to change parameters in the APM service or not.

Thanks very much

At the moment it is not possible to send Jaeger traces directly to an APM Server in Elastic Cloud. What you could do is run APM Server in your Kubernetes environment, and configure that to send to Elasticsearch in Elastic Cloud. You can find some documentation about how to configure APM Server like this at Configure the output for Elasticsearch Service on Elastic Cloud | APM Server Reference [7.11] | Elastic

We are looking into making it possible to send Jaeger traces directly to APM Server in Elastic Cloud as well. Please subscribe to Jaeger Intake on Elastic Cloud · Issue #212 · elastic/apm · GitHub if you would like to be kept informed of progress.

1 Like

Thank you Andrew,

If I understand you I can run an APM server (standalone), without having any other elastic component installed in my kubernetes and configuring it to send to Elastic Cloud?

if that would be the way, what would be the best way to install an APM server in kubernetes?

Thank you very much

That is correct.

There are multiple approaches, depending on your needs and preferences.

If you were also going to install Elasticsearch, Kibana, or Beats, then I would normally recommend using Elastic Cloud on Kubernetes (ECK): Run APM Server on ECK | Elastic Cloud on Kubernetes [2.10] | Elastic. This might be overkill for your situation though.

If you are comfortable using Helm Charts, then there is an official one for APM Server: apm-server 8.5.1 · elastic/elastic.

Otherwise you can roll your own configuration using the official Docker images: Quick start with Elastic Cloud | APM User Guide [8.11] | Elastic

1 Like

Thank you Andrew

I'll try with helm package, I understand that APM server doesn't have any UI (interface) right?

Best regards

The UI for APM Server is Kibana :slight_smile: APM | Kibana Guide [7.11] | Elastic
APM Server itself runs as a daemon.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.