How to upgrade node.js (from v10.23.1 to v16.13.2) in Kibana 7.10.2

Hi,

We are using Kibana 7.10.2 with Elasticsearch of the same version. Currently we have a urgent need to upgrade the node.js version of Kibana to 16.13.2. We tried but unable to get the desired result. Is it possible to upgrade the node.js version in Kibana 7.10.2? If yes, can anyone help us with the steps to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I don't think this is going to work. Will probably break a bunch of things?

@wa7son what do you think? Do we have a path forward?

Thanks,
Bhavya

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @mridul.tamuli

I was on leave and unfortunately didn't see your question before now. I hope you managed to find a solution to your problem in meantime. However, here's my answer to your question:

It's not possible to easily upgrade Node.js in Kibana 7.10.2 to v16.x. This will require that you build a custom version of Kibana from scratch as a lot of the source code needs to be updated as well since it's not 100% compatible with the breaking changes in the newer Node.js versions. You can see the work that have gone into making Kibana compatible with the newer Node.js versions by viewing the upgrade PRs on GitHub:

I would argue that it's most likely much easier to upgrade to the newest version of Kibana 7.x than trying to upgrade the Node.js version of your current Kibana instance.

I hope this helps.

1 Like