How to visualize tally counters (Serial Diff maybe?)

Using Kibana 5.4.1
I have a fairly common use case whereby servers send counter metrics at regular interval. Those counters are just a tally of some event, for example the number of connections opened, or some errors since the process started.
Those stats are meant to be compact, and while one could use 1 doc per "event", it's not the case here. So how would I go about visualizing the evolution of that counter over time?
It seems a potential candidate would be "Serial Diff" which subtracts a value at previous time from the current value. And it seems to be working as expected, but there is a problem that makes it unusable: graph always starts with a huge spike and ends with a massive drop, no matter the time window selected. It's like it's not happy with the 1st and last bucket. Any way to fix / ignore those buckets?

Example:

thanks much!

Have you looked into the visual builder visualization type at all? There is a serial difference option, and also an option to drop the last bucket which might help you with the drop at the end.

Ok perfect, looks exactly like what I need, I was just delayed a few versions :slight_smile: Thanks much!

It looks like I will still have to wait for

I need to upgrade to have access to "drop last bucket" but even then it sounds like it may not yet drop the 1st partial bucket?

It looks like I am able to visualize diffs properly with following setting:

• Metric 1: Max of the given counter
  • Metric 2: Serial diff of that max
  • Group by: server name
    It seem to be doing the job properly of grouping by time bucket / server name, then doing the diff of 1 bucket to the next. The 1st and last buckets do not seem to be an issue.

This is still not ideal, for example when a counter rolls or a server is restarted it may show huge negative values that make it harder to visualize.
I was wondering, does Timelion support doing diffs between buckets following a split?
Something like:
.es(index='myindex_*', timefield='time', split='servername:1', metric='requestcounter').serialDiff()

I guess a more generic question is: what's the best way to visualize counter type metrics with Timelion (where a counter at time T should get subtracted from T-1 to infer the change in value)?

Looks like this is potentially one way:

Got to a pretty good state using the Visual Builder (though I cannot do the ratios / diff between series like with timelion).
The trick is to add an extra FilterPositive agg as child of the SerialDiff to remove rollovers.

Last little gripe about Visual Builder: why are the same values using different colors in each graph? Anyway to fix in Kibana v5 latest? Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.