Illegal_argument_exception error

Hello Team. I'm trying to implement a basic lifecycle policy, in order to delete an index after X hours (this lifecycle policy is just for testing). In my setup, I'm using to beats agents (Winlogbeat and Metricbeat).

I have specified 2 different lifecycle policies with 2 different names, but the two policies essentially have the same function to delete after x hours (but not the same length of time). I'm just starting with ILM, however I'm getting the following error for both policies :

illegal_argument_exception: index.lifecycle.rollover_alias [metricbeat-7.10] does not point to index [metricbeat-7.10]

illegal_argument_exception: index.lifecycle.rollover_alias [winlogbeat-7.10] does not point to index [winlogbeat-7.10]

Also, this error does not happen every time. Sometimes it can go for many minutes, even hours, without showing any ilm errors in Kibana < Stack Management < Index Management. Then again the errors reappear.

I have no idea what is the meaning of these errors, and why they don't come up all the time ? Pls help.

Can you share your policies please.

Hi, so as I'm still in a testing environment, I decided to delete the two indices corresponding to Winlogbeat and Metricbeat. After deleting and restarting the agents, the lifecycle policies are now working.

Still don't know what was the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.