[illegal_argument_exception] Fielddata is disabled on text fields by default. Set fielddata=true on [host.name]

Hi everyone,

I am stuck with an issue regarding fielddata aggregation. I spent many days looking for similar issues, but none of them worked.

In a nutshell, I use ELK stack (version 7.3.1) for personal purpose and want to exploit Dashboard & SIEM utilities.

My architecture is the following (all based on Linux OS):
[subnet 1 : various beats on every available machines a own -> kafka] -> Personnal Routeur -> [Subnet 2 : Logstash -> Elasticsearch <- Kibana]

I configured Xpack free functionalities for encryption/Keystores... and I managed to centralize the logs on the Elasticsearch. Then on Kibana interface I created index paterns based on indexes available on the index management page. I used logstash to parse the logs that are not already parsed by default. When I go to the Discover page, everything runs fine. I have all my indexes, and I can search using advanced filters.

The problem is : I have issues when I want to use the SIEM app, only the main overview counts Hosts Events & Network Events. When I click on one of them, nothing displays and I have the following error : [illegal_argument_exception] Fielddata is disabled on text fields by default. Set fielddata=true on [host.name]

As I understand, Logstash has something that alters data type. I firstly checked my Logstash file configuration. Here is the end of it :

output {
    	elasticsearch {
    		hosts => "localhost:9200"
    		**manage_template => "false"**
    		index => "%{[@metadata][kafka][lc_topic]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
    		user => "${ES_USER}"
    		password => "${ES_PWD}"
    	}
    }

I though it was because I didn't correctly uploaded / install the beats templates. So I did it again, following those steps :

1. I deleted all indexes with the Kibana interface
  2. On each machine : < beat_name> export template > <beat_name>.template.json
  3. Checked they were populated, and uploaded them on the ELK server (scp)
  4. Used the command ```curl -XPUT -H 'Content-Type: application/json'
    http://localhost:9200/_template/<beat_name-version> -d@<beat_name>.template.json
5) As the issue was not resolved, I restarted ELK services. No improvement.

I hope I was clear, feel free to ask any further technical information.

Thank you in advance for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.