Incremental Snapshot in Elasticsearch

Continuing the discussion from [ES-1.4.2] Snapshot FS Repository directory structure:

Hi Elasticsearch Champs:

I have managed to make a script for Elasticsearch snapshot and restore but I really wanted to override same snapshot over and over it so that only the changes i update in ES index that changes only got snapshot on the same snapshot i.e incremental update..

Please need your suggestion on this:

root@ip-10-1-0-115:/etc/elasticsearch# curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/_snapshot/my_backup/snapshot_2?pretty' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
"indices": "test-index",
"ignore_unavailable": true,
"include_global_state": false
}
'
{
"accepted" : true
}

root@ip-10-1-0-115:/etc/elasticsearch# curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/_snapshot/my_backup/snapshot_2?pretty' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
"indices": "test-index",
"ignore_unavailable": true,
"include_global_state": false
}
'
{
"error" : {
"root_cause" : [
{
"type" : "snapshot_creation_exception",
"reason" : "[my_backup:snapshot_2/wIr2rgXtTYmzT8mkTIXz3g] snapshot with the same name already exists"
}
],
"type" : "snapshot_creation_exception",
"reason" : "[my_backup:snapshot_2/wIr2rgXtTYmzT8mkTIXz3g] snapshot with the same name already exists"
},
"status" : 500
}

So as per above I just wanted to make sure that same snapshot:snapshot_2 should be able to override...

You'd need to delete the existing snapshot to use the same name.

Hi ,

I just wanted to understand how incremental snapshot works in Elasticsearch..Wanted to clear one thing if I make a snapshot A of an index test then do some changes like add/delete documents then make another snapshot so during the snapshot process only the changes i did for add/delete in an index will be snapshot not the complete index snapshot only changes will be snapshot???

No, snapshots are incremental at the segment level. In addition to the docs, this blog post described how it works quite well even if it is getting a bit old.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.