Index problem after using curator

Hello,
I use a graylog server, with elasticsearch and kibana installed on it. I recently used curator to send indexes to aws S3, then to delete them, in order to save space on my server.
All of this works fine, but I have an error message that now appears on graylog and kibana, as it does not find indexes that are deleted

graylog

Do you know how to fix this problem? Thank you

A cluster in the red state means that one or more primary shards is considered to be missing. That's what the "unassigned" means. Curator typically cannot cause a red state without something else having gone wrong—it uses the Elasticsearch APIs to delete, snapshot, allocate, etc., and those behaviors do not of themselves cause a shard to appear unassigned. This does not mean that I am categorically stating that there is no correlation between you having run Curator and having this state. Just because it shouldn't happen doesn't mean it didn't happen.

To correct a red state, you must remove the index with the unassigned shard. You can run:

GET /_cat/indices?v

and it will show you where your indices are, and what state they are in:

health status index                                           uuid                   pri rep docs.count docs.deleted store.size pri.store.size
green  open   .monitoring-beats-7-2021.04.14                  kqoWIZ84TVKXwuFBihHvNQ   1   1      96900            0    124.1mb           62mb

Note that the first column shows the index state. You need only find the one that is red, and then delete that index name:

DELETE /some-index-name

NOTE: Don't just jump in and delete it if the red index is a system index, but this seems highly unlikely as you'd have many other problems than a shard failed message. A system index is one that starts with a period, like .security or the like. A .monitoring-* index is not a system index, but is merely monitoring data and are generally safe to delete.

Hello @theuntergeek ,
It worked for me, thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.