Index rollover given an error for alias

Hi Team,

Kindly help us to resolve below error which we are receiving for our custom index created from filebeat cisco asa module.

illegal_argument_exception: index.lifecycle.rollover_alias [ciscobeat-7.6.2] does not point to index [cisco-beat-2020.08.21]

Regards,
Jijo John

Please make sure you bootstrapped the initial index - https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/getting-started-index-lifecycle-management.html#ilm-gs-alias-bootstrap

1 Like

Hi Mark,

After doing the bootstrap index , its creating a new index with rollover name 000001 but as soon as i start the filebeat service its creating a new index. Please see the screenshot below

What does your Filebeat config look like? Have you configured it to write to the write alias?

Hi Christian,

Below is the filebeat config

index: "cisco-beat-%{+yyyy.MM.dd}"
setup.ilm.enabled: false
setup.template.name: "cisco"
setup.template.pattern: "cisco-*"

and below is the put command used to create an initial bootstrap index

PUT cisco-beat-2020.09.05-000001
{
  "aliases": {
    "cisco": {
      "is_write_index": true
    }
  }
}

basically i am trying to create a custom index name for cisco asa module so that i can store firewall logs in a separate index and configure separate ilm for that

It is writing to an index with the specified name, which is expected since you have disabled ILM and are not writing to the write alias.

Thank you Christian and Mark , I configured the filebeat with below option and its working fine now .

setup.ilm.enabled: auto
setup.template.name: "cisco-dc"
setup.template.pattern: "cisco-dc-*"
setup.ilm.rollover_alias: "cisco-dc"
setup.ilm.pattern: "{now/d}-000001"

Ran the Command
filebeat setup --ilm-policy

write alias pointed me to the right doc

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.