Information needed

(Kunal Jha) #1

Hi All,
we've set up ELK in our environment and its really a nice tool to check real time logs. Thanks for that.
but i really interested to know about.

1. is the server can collect all the logs from client and also stores it inside or it just creates a reference of log file.

(Kunal Jha) #2

hi team,
could you please help me with a question. i want to limit the numbers or indices of elasticsearch
as it is filling my server space. is there ant configuration to limit this

(Zachary Tong) #3

There's no automatic way to restrict the number of indices. But you can use a tool like Curator to automatically delete old indices based on a variety of criteria.

Or you can manually delete them.

(Kunal Jha) #4

ok if i go delete it what will be the effect on my elk. probably we'll no more able to see older logs
right?

(Zachary Tong) #5

Yep, if you delete older indices, the documents in those indices will no longer be available. So you won't see them in your dashboard.

It's fairly common for people to have a "retention period" of a week, a month, six months etc and then delete after that.

(Kunal Jha) #6

thanks for the response :slight_smile:

(Kunal Jha) #7

hi Team,
i have 1 more question and will appreciate if you help on this can we set sequence of logs in ELK server.
as i my elk server it is not showing in proper sequence.

(Kunal Jha) #8

Hi,
I want to create user and role based dashboard in elk server i have read about x-pack is it free or paid

(Kunal Jha) #9

please help me on this

(Shane Connelly) #10

X-Pack is a commercial feature. Parts of it are free, and parts of it are higher subscription tiers that are paid. See https://www.elastic.co/subscriptions for more information, but authentication and role-based access control is under gold. If you like, you can go to that subscriptions page and start a free platinum trial to see if it's going to provide what you want. Also, our Elastic Cloud offering is a cloud service which includes the authentication and role-based access control features of X-Pack (for <64GB RAM users) and also has a free trial.
You can have a look at https://www.elastic.co/cloud/as-a-service/subscriptions for what's offered there.

(system) #11

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.