Ionic/Angular client

Hi,

First post, so please be gentle :grinning:

I'm currently evaluating Elasticsearch Cloud and am prototyping access from Ionic/Angular clients.

My understanding is that the new JavaScript client is solely for node.js and no longer supports browser access. Is this correct?

Is there an alternative library that supports browser access or shouldn't I even be considering this due to security concerns? Is a lightweight proxy a better approach or perhaps a Logstash endpoint supporting HTTP input (but I guess security concerns there too)?

Apologies if these are naive questions!

Welcome!

I'd look at SearchUI: Search UI Version 1.0.0 Released | Elastic Blog

This is working with App Search which is working on top of elasticsearch. So if you are after the "search" use case, I'd recommend using the App Search service instead of the Elasticsearch service.

But in case it does not fit your use case, here are some other answers:

My understanding is that the new JavaScript client is solely for node.js

I don't think so but I'm not an expert on that language though :slight_smile:
If you read this: Introduction | Elasticsearch JavaScript Client [8.11] | Elastic

It says that:

There is no official support for the browser environment. It exposes your Elasticsearch instance to everyone, which could lead to security issues. We recommend that you write a lightweight proxy that uses this client instead.

So to this question:

shouldn't I even be considering this due to security concerns?

That makes a lot of sense not to expose elasticsearch directly IMHO.

HTH

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.