Is it possiable to add one more filed to existing index in elastic search,using java API

Hi Team,

I trying to add one more field to existing in elastic search using JAVA API.

PutMappingRequest request = new PutMappingRequest(indexName);
	XContentBuilder mapping = XContentFactory.jsonBuilder();
	mapping.startObject();		 
	try {		

for(TargetField field:list){
			if(field.getFieldIndexable() != null && field.getFieldIndexable() ==3){
				String type="text";

if(field.getFieldTypeSource().equals("int") || field.getFieldTypeSource().equals("long")){
					type="text";
				}else if(field.getFieldTypeSource().equals("double") || field.getFieldTypeSource().equals("float")){
					type="double";	
				}else if(field.getFieldTypeSource().equals("geo_point")){
					type="geo_point";	
				}else if(field.getFieldTypeSource().equals("date")){
					type="date";	
				}			
				if(type == null || type.length() == 0){
					type="text";
				}	

if(type.equals("date")){
						mapping.startObject(field.getFieldNameTarget()).field("type", type).field("format", "strict_date_optional_time").endObject();	
					}else{
						if(type.equals("text") || field.getFieldTypeIndex() != null && field.getFieldTypeIndex().equals("text")) {
							type="text";
							mapping.startObject(field.getFieldNameTarget()).field("type", type).field("fielddata", true).endObject();	
						}else {
						mapping.startObject(field.getFieldNameTarget()).field("type", type).endObject();	
						}}

}
		}        

mapping.endObject();
	} catch (IOException e) {
		e.printStackTrace();
	}	
	System.out.println(mapping);
	logger.info("Update index mapping "+indexName.toLowerCase());
	request.source(mapping).type();
	AcknowledgedResponse mapp = client.admin().indices().putMapping(request).actionGet();

Getting Error:org.elasticsearch.action.ActionRequestValidationException: Validation Failed: 1: mapping type is missing;

You should try to do it first using Kibana dev console. Then it will be easier to adapt your code accordingly.

Can you please share any example

See https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/indices-put-mapping.html

i gothrough that earlier,i got a error like this
org.elasticsearch.action.ActionRequestValidationException: Validation Failed: 1: mapping type is missing;

Could you provide a full recreation script as described in About the Elasticsearch category. It will help to better understand what you are doing. Please, try to keep the example as simple as possible.

A full reproduction script will help readers to understand, reproduce and if needed fix your problem. It will also most likely help to get a faster answer.

Hi we are using Java API

I know that.

I'm asking that you create a script that can run in Kibana dev console first.
Then we can help fixing the Java part of the problem.