Is it possible to move an ES index across clusters with different shard count?

Hi,

I processed some logs using logstash and pushed it to an ES cluster. I want to move the index to a different cluster, but the shard count is different across the two clusters. Is it possible to move the existing index and let it pick up the new shard structure? From what I understand the index moved might retain the configuration from the original cluster.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Ravinder

Shards are an index concept, not a cluster one. So if you move it it'll keep it's old count, but you don't need to worry about it.

Thank you, Mark!
I could be wrong, but I think it might impact the performance with the old configuration in place. The thing is that the size of the index might exceed what could be supported by the present cluster configuration (8 shards). I needed to add space to the cluster. And the thought of setting up a new cluster and moving the existing index to the new cluster crossed my mind. Do you think there are options that I might not be aware of?

P.S: I am a novice in ES.

Best regards,
Ravinder

There is no impact that having different numbers of shards for different indices will have.

This is a big help. Thank you so much!

Best regards,