Is the Shield free to use?

Maverl is free now for the ES where above the 2.x version, but i do not know whether Shield is free now ? thank you !

Shield use beyond the 4 week trial requires a subscription, with access to a full license key.

So unfortunately it's not.

Maverl is free now ? only for the 2.x version?

Marvel is free, but you need to register for a license.

1 Like

Hi

As for the shield plugin, I don't get it as it comes to the license...

My has been already expired:

[2016-03-07 08:15:04,894][ERROR][shield.action ] [Dementia] blocking [cluster:monitor/health] operation due to expired license. Cluster health, cluster stats and indices stats operations are blocked on shield license expiration. All data operations (read and write) continue to work.

Cluster health, cluster status and indices stats are blocked, addtionally while running elastic search I get:
` COMMERCIAL PLUGINS OPERATING WITH REDUCED FUNCTIONALITY

• shield
  • Cluster health, cluster stats and indices stats operations are blocked
  • All data operations (read and write) continue to work`
  1. What does the "limited functionalty" means?
  2. Is it possible to open Kibana with expired Shield plugin? Currently I get following error:
    [security_exception] current license is non-compliant for [shield], with: {"license.expired.feature":"shield"}
    Is it possible to run elastichsearch + shield without cluster health/cluster stats, indeces stats permissions?

Hi,

You need a valid license to use Shield. When you first installed Shield, a free 30-day trial license automatically started. Now that it's expired, you will need to either get a trial license extension (just send an email to info@elastic.co requesting a trial license extension), or a production license to continue using Shield.

To be clear - you cannot continue to use Shield without a license. If you no longer want to use it, you can simply uninstall the plugin.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thanks, now it's clear for me :slight_smile:

Thanks i've the same question :smiley:

got it, thanks a lot!