Java client 5.0, encryption

(Robert Blankenship) #1

Hi all, I'm trying to make a secure java client for ES 5.0, but I'm met with the following error. Any ideas?

Here is my code

It's weird because it passes the type checker.

(Mark Walkom) #2

Please don't post pictures of text, they are difficult to read and some people may not be even able to see them.

(Robert Blankenship) #3

The exception, in text:

play.api.Application$$anon$1: Execution exception[[RuntimeException: java.lang.VerifyError: class org.elasticsearch.xpack.XPackPlugin overrides final method onModule.(Lorg/elasticsearch/action/ActionModule;)V]]
	at play.api.Application$class.handleError(Application.scala:296)
	at play.api.DefaultApplication.handleError(Application.scala:402)
	at play.core.server.netty.PlayDefaultUpstreamHandler$$anonfun$14$$anonfun$apply$1.applyOrElse(PlayDefaultUpstreamHandler.scala:205)
	at play.core.server.netty.PlayDefaultUpstreamHandler$$anonfun$14$$anonfun$apply$1.applyOrElse(PlayDefaultUpstreamHandler.scala:202)
	at scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction.apply(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:36)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.VerifyError: class org.elasticsearch.xpack.XPackPlugin overrides final method onModule.(Lorg/elasticsearch/action/ActionModule;)V
	at play.api.mvc.ActionBuilder$$anon$1.apply(Action.scala:523)
	at play.api.mvc.Action$$anonfun$apply$1$$anonfun$apply$4$$anonfun$apply$5.apply(Action.scala:130)
	at play.api.mvc.Action$$anonfun$apply$1$$anonfun$apply$4$$anonfun$apply$5.apply(Action.scala:130)
	at play.utils.Threads$.withContextClassLoader(Threads.scala:21)
	at play.api.mvc.Action$$anonfun$apply$1$$anonfun$apply$4.apply(Action.scala:129)
Caused by: java.lang.VerifyError: class org.elasticsearch.xpack.XPackPlugin overrides final method onModule.(Lorg/elasticsearch/action/ActionModule;)V
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:763)
	at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:467)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:73)

The code excerpt, in text:

package controllers

import java.net.InetAddress

import org.elasticsearch.client.transport.TransportClient
import org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Settings
import org.elasticsearch.common.transport.InetSocketTransportAddress
import org.elasticsearch.transport.client.PreBuiltTransportClient
import org.elasticsearch.xpack.XPackPlugin
import play.api.libs.json.Json
import play.api.mvc.Action
import play.api.mvc.Results._
import util.AWSInstance

object ElasticController {

def getClient(instanceId: String, clusterName: String = "my-cluster"): TransportClient = {
    val instanceIp = AWSInstance.getInstanceById(instanceId).getPrivateIpAddress

val clientSettings = Settings.builder().put("cluster.name", clusterName).build()

new PreBuiltTransportClient(
      clientSettings,
      classOf[XPackPlugin]
    ).addTransportAddress(new InetSocketTransportAddress(InetAddress.getByName(instanceIp), 9300))
  }

def getIndices(instanceId: String) = Action {
    Ok(
      Json.toJson {
        getClient(instanceId).admin().cluster().prepareState().execute().actionGet().getState.getMetaData.getConcreteAllIndices
      }
    )
  }
}

(Ryan Ernst) #4

Can you check what version of xpack you are pulling in? This looks like you have an old version of xpack with a 5.0 version of transport client.

(Robert Blankenship) #5

Hi @rjernst, thanks for your reply.

Here is my build.sbt file:

resolvers += "elasticsearch-releases" at "https://maven.elasticsearch.org/releases"

libraryDependencies ++= Seq(
  "com.amazonaws" % "aws-java-sdk" % "1.9.8",
  "com.jcraft" % "jsch" % "0.1.53",
  "org.elasticsearch.plugin" % "x-pack" % "5.0.0-alpha4",
  "org.elasticsearch.client" % "transport" % "5.0.0-alpha5"
)

I'm unable to pull in 5.0.0-alpha5 of Xpack due to a build issue: Can't get 5.0.0-alpha5 from Maven

(Ryan Ernst) #6

@robert-blankenship Sorry for the delayed response on this. Mixing version of the transport client and x-pack will definitely cause issues like you see. The packaging issue you linked to has been fixed in 5.0.0-beta1. In fact, there is now a prebuilt xpack transport client which you can have as a single dependency. Take a look at org.elasticsearch.client:x-pack-transport:5.0.0-beta1. Also, note that the location of the elastic hosted maven repository has changed to https://artifacts.elastic.co/maven.

(system) #7