java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown setting [node.roles] please check that any required plugins are installed

Added node.roles: [ master ] in elasticsearch.yml configuration. Index or shard allocation is not done yet. Using 7.8.1 version of elastic search. However on starting the node I get the below exception
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown setting [node.roles] please check that any required plugins are installed, or check the breaking changes documentation for removed settings
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:544) ~[elasticsearch-7.8.1.jar:7.8.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:489) ~[elasticsearch-7.8.1.jar:7.8.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:460) ~[elasticsearch-7.8.1.jar:7.8.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:431) ~[elasticsearch-7.8.1.jar:7.8.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.SettingsModule.<init>(SettingsModule.java:149) ~[elasticsearch-7.8.1.jar:7.8.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.<init>(Node.java:370) ~[elasticsearch-7.8.1.jar:7.8.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.<init>(Node.java:266) ~[elasticsearch-7.8.1.jar:7.8.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap$5.<init>(Bootstrap.java:227) ~[elasticsearch-7.8.1.jar:7.8.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.setup(Bootstrap.java:227) ~[elasticsearch-7.8.1.jar:7.8.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:393) ~[elasticsearch-7.8.1.jar:7.8.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:170) ~[elasticsearch-7.8.1.jar:7.8.1]
        ... 6 more
uncaught exception in thread [main]
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown setting [node.roles] please check that any required plugins are installed, or check the breaking changes documentation for removed settings
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:544)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:489)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:460)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:431)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.SettingsModule.<init>(SettingsModule.java:149)
        at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.<init>(Node.java:370)
        at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.<init>(Node.java:266)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap$5.<init>(Bootstrap.java:227)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.setup(Bootstrap.java:227)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:393)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:170)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.execute(Elasticsearch.java:161)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:127)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:126)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:92)

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

Are you asking for assistance here or are you just posting part of your log file?

Hello, I need assistance . How to set master only or data only node. If I follow the documentation, then I see that I need to set node.roles: [ master ] in elasticsearch.yml file.
But when I do that, I get the above exception

Can you please share your elasticsearch.yml?

Please format your code/logs/config using the </> button, or markdown style back ticks. It helps to make things easy to read which helps us help you :slight_smile:

Hello,

The issue seems to have resolved when I updated from 7.8.1 to 7.9.
Thank you