Java.lang.IllegalArgumentException with environment variable placeholder

Context of environment: Newbee engaged with the learning and building of a current-version single node elasticsearch-kibana-logstash stack with manually configured security, within a current virtual Ubuntu machine.

Context of Problem: Running and re-running bin/elasticsearch-certutil and -keystore tools, regardless of if installed elasticsearch is running or not.

The yet-unresolved issue: At some point after running a bin/elasticsearch- tool, Java throws an IllegalArgumentException: "Could not resolve placeholder 'ES_PATH_CONF' which prevents any further successful engagement with those elasticsearch- tools.

Now I do know what ES_PATH_CONF is, what it should be, and where it is defined. But I have no clue why Java cares.

What have I done to get out of this so far? Go back to a prior-saved virtual machine state where the problem has not yet shown its face.

Attempts to prevent this issue:

1. run the bin/elasticsearch- tool with "sudo -E ..." rather than with just "sudo ...". This seemed to enable me to run and rerun the tools for a longer period of time before the Exception starts.

Attempts to clear this issue:

1. Rebooting the system, which does not clear the issue, which continues to stop further use of the -certutil and -keystore elasticsearch tools.

Full Exception from "sudo -E ./bin/elasticsearch-keystore list":
'Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not resolve placeholder 'ES_PATH_CONF''
'at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.PropertyPlaceholder.parseStringValue(PropertyPlaceholder.java:102)'
'at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.PropertyPlaceholder.replacePlaceholders(PropertyPlaceholder.java:57)'
'at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Settings$Builder.replacePropertyPlaceholders(Settings.java:1314)'
'at org.elasticsearch.node.InternalSettingsPreparer.prepareEnvironment(InternalSettingsPreparer.java:56)'
'at org.elasticsearch.common.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.createEnv(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:110)'
'at org.elasticsearch.common.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:54)'
'at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:85)'
'at org.elasticsearch.cli.MultiCommand.execute(MultiCommand.java:94)'
'at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:50)'
'at org.elasticsearch.launcher.CliToolLauncher.main(CliToolLauncher.java:64)'

Full Exception from "sudo -E ./bin/elasticsearch-keystore http":
'Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not resolve placeholder 'ES_PATH_CONF''
'at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.PropertyPlaceholder.parseStringValue(PropertyPlaceholder.java:102)'
'at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.PropertyPlaceholder.replacePlaceholders(PropertyPlaceholder.java:57)'
'at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Settings$Builder.replacePropertyPlaceholders(Settings.java:1314)'
'at org.elasticsearch.node.InternalSettingsPreparer.prepareEnvironment(InternalSettingsPreparer.java:56)'
'at org.elasticsearch.common.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.createEnv(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:110)'
'at org.elasticsearch.common.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:54)'
'at org.elasticsearch.cli.MultiCommand.execute(MultiCommand.java:94)'
'at org.elasticsearch.xpack.security.cli.CertificateTool.execute(CertificateTool.java:161)'
'at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:50)'
'at org.elasticsearch.launcher.CliToolLauncher.main(CliToolLauncher.java:64)'

Any suggestions in what direction I should start looking to learn what phenomena is setting me up for this IllegalArgumentException would be much appreciated!
Thank you for your time and consideration!

Regardless of knowing why, this phenomena can be created with edits to the /etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml file by inserting a prepend of "${ES_PATH_CONF}/" to entries containing "certs/".

Neither full path prepends of "/etc/elasticsearch/" nor the untouched installed settings with "certs/" create the phenomena when going to execute tools: elasticsearch-certutil, elasticsearch-keystore, regardless of the installed elasticsearch running or not.

Go ahead, have some fun and give it a try!

This error means that the ES_PATH_CONF variable is not set. To fix it, set the environment variable. I opened #110858 because I think we could make this error message clearer.

Thank you for looking in to this.

After adding '${ES_PATH_CONF}/' as a prepend to 'certs/....' in the elasticsearch.yml ssl configurations, you will get the same java IllegalArgumentException regardless of the ES_PATH_CONF environment variable being set or not.

These edits to elasticsearch.yml do not require restarting the elasticsearch service to see the IllegalArgumentException when going to execute elasticsearch-certutil or elasticsearch-keystore.

You can toggle back and forth to success or IllegalArgumentException failure by simply adding or removing the '${ES_PATH_CONF}/' prepend to 'certs/...' elasticsearch.yml configurations.

I can't reproduce this. When I set ${ES_PATH_CONF} I do not get this error.