Json file parsing not working in logstash using beats

(Ganesh) #1

Hi,
I have a log which contain the json as input . when i was using lower version of logstash with logcouier i had processed the json input. But now im using latest version of logstash with beats. In this scenario json is not working for me. Did i miss anything to parse the file or else have to define anything in yml of beats. Please anyone help me to resolve it.

input {
beats {
port => 10546
type => "json"
}
}
filter
{
##Pattern to split the JSON format from the input.
grok {
match => [ "message","^]?((?[[[a-zA-Z0-9,:] ]-]*)) ?%{GREEDYDATA:app_json}"]
}
##Parsing JSON input to JSON Filter..
json {
source => "app_json"
}
}

This is how i'm processing my input. Please correct me if i did anything wrong

(Magnus Bäck) #2

Use the beats input with Filebeat, not the courier input.

(Ganesh) #3

I'm using beats only, I was pasted wrongly here.

(Magnus Bäck) #4

Okay, so what do you actually get? The result of a stdout { codec => rubydebug } output would be useful.

(Ganesh) #5

This is im getting in my stdout screen
"message" => "DiagnosticsLog brri-storms-t01 BRRIHUB_CEP STORM 111111111 2015-06-23T10:06:59.781Z WebServiceUtil: RESPONSE :{ "GetSpecialServiceCampaignResponse":{ "GetSpecialServiceCampaignBOD":{ "ApplicationArea":{ "CreationDateTime":"2015-06-23T10:06:58.418Z", "BODID":"", "VersionID":"2.0", "Sender":{ "UserID":"brri_hub", "CreatorNameCode":"BRRI_HUB", "SenderNameCode":"EIG" }, "Destination":{ "DestinationNameCode":"BRRI Hub" } }, "GetSpecialServiceCampaignDataArea":{ "BusinessContext":{ "TransactionType":"POST", "Action":"SpecialServiceCampaignRealTimeRequest", "MessageID":"88194000-F954-43B7-BE9C-23A270A0C409", "MessagePurpose":"Reporting", "FromRole":"Vehicle", "ToRole":"Dealer", "ActionType":"Insert" }, "SpecialServiceCampaignPayload":{ "VIN":"", "CampaignData":[ ] } } } } }",
"@version" => "1",
"@timestamp" => "2016-01-27T14:51:38.906Z",
"beat" => {
"hostname" => "vtmnalrhl216",
"name" => "vtmnalrhl216"
},
"count" => 1,
"fields" => nil,
"input_type" => "log",
"offset" => 0,
"source" => "/beep/brri-logs/DiagnosticsLog2015-06-23-10.log",
"type" => "elk_diagno_log",
"host" => "vtmnalrhl216",
"app_logType" => "DiagnosticsLog",
"app_instancId" => " brri-storms-t01",
"app_applicationId" => "BRRIHUB_CEP",
"app_methodName" => "STORM",
"app_correlationId" => "111111111",
"app_logRecorded_Timestamp" => "2015-06-23T10:06:59.781Z",
"app_logMessage" => "WebServiceUtil: RESPONSE :{ "GetSpecialServiceCampaignResponse":{ "GetSpecialServiceCampaignBOD":{ "ApplicationArea":{ "CreationDateTime":"2015-06-23T10:06:58.418Z", "BODID":"", "VersionID":"2.0", "Sender":{ "UserID":"brri_hub", "CreatorNameCode":"BRRI_HUB", "SenderNameCode":"EIG" }, "Destination":{ "DestinationNameCode":"BRRI Hub" } }, "GetSpecialServiceCampaignDataArea":{ "BusinessContext":{ "TransactionType":"POST", "Action":"SpecialServiceCampaignRealTimeRequest", "MessageID":"88194000-F954-43B7-BE9C-23A270A0C409", "MessagePurpose":"Reporting", "FromRole":"Vehicle", "ToRole":"Dealer", "ActionType":"Insert" }, "SpecialServiceCampaignPayload":{ "VIN":"", "CampaignData":[ ] } } } } }",
"tags" => [
[0] "_grokparsefailure"
],
"app_application" => "SpecialServiceCampaignRealTimeRequest",
"app_vhrId" => "2015-06-23T10",
"app_json" => "{ "GetSpecialServiceCampaignResponse":{ "GetSpecialServiceCampaignBOD":{ "ApplicationArea":{ "CreationDateTime":"2015-06-23T10:06:58.418Z", "BODID":"", "VersionID":"2.0", "Sender":{ "UserID":"brri_hub", "CreatorNameCode":"BRRI_HUB", "SenderNameCode":"EIG" }, "Destination":{ "DestinationNameCode":"BRRI Hub" } }, "GetSpecialServiceCampaignDataArea":{ "BusinessContext":{ "TransactionType":"POST", "Action":"SpecialServiceCampaignRealTimeRequest", "MessageID":"88194000-F954-43B7-BE9C-23A270A0C409", "MessagePurpose":"Reporting", "FromRole":"Vehicle", "ToRole":"Dealer", "ActionType":"Insert" }, "SpecialServiceCampaignPayload":{ "VIN":"", "CampaignData":[ ] } } } } }",
"fingerprint" => "345b358a8905d61f92bdc69e9aed5272bcb42002"

app_json contain my json value and i'm that source in json filter.

(Magnus Bäck) #6

But the json filter you posted above parses the notify field.

(Ganesh) #7

That was copy paste error. Kindly check now i edited my input this is how i'm created logstash file.

input {
beats {
port => 10546
type => "json"
}
}
filter{
grok{
match =>{"message" => "^?((?<app_jsonexclude>[[[a-zA-Z0-9,_.:] ]-]*)) ?%{GREEDYDATA:app_json}"}
}
json {
source => "app_json"
}
}

(logstash_oz) #8

Hi, I know this is not a correct place to ask this question. I am new to this community and also to elk. After splunk tried to bankrupt our company .. Can someone please guide me to correct place where I can get advice about what can be the replacement for splunk?
I have tried setting up ELK , got the data(json logs) into elasticsearch and was able to do some play with data on kibana. However, I am still not sure, how to achieve the very critical things which we need. Alerting...!!! We are currently using splunk to monitor ecommerce website traffic. Any help , will be very much appreciated. I am very much tired of piecing together so many components in ELK alone, and another tool for alerting only makes it more difficult, from what I have read so far. Is Graylog better than ELK to replace my use case? I know nothing may be same as splunk. I just want to replace a part of our use case, so we can bargain with splunk for a better deal,at the earliest.

Thanks

(Mark Walkom) #9

Please start your own thread instead :slight_smile:

(Ganesh) #10

Can any one help me out of the json issue

(Christian Dahlqvist) #11

The field you extract into is named 'appjson' but you are specifying that the JSON filter should use 'app_json'. Make sure these are aligned and try again.

(Magnus Bäck) #12

The field you extract into is named 'appjson' but you are specifying that the JSON filter should use 'app_json'. Make sure these are aligned and try again.

No, the file actually contains app_json. it's the Disqus formatter that interpreted the matching underscores as an emphasis and stripped them. I lost my patience after the second typo in the posted configurations.

(Ganesh) #13

Sorry for that typo @Magnus . I'm struck on the json part due to this issue im unable to move further step.

(Christian Dahlqvist) #14

OK. Now that I look closer I can see that some of the text is in italics. I assume this could be avoided if the provided configuration samples were formatted as 'Preformatted text' when posted?

(Christian Dahlqvist) #15

The issue could be the backslashes in the JSON string. Try adding a mutate sub filter as follows before parsing the JSON to clean it up.

mutate {
    gsub => ["json_app", "[\\]", "" ]
}

(Ganesh) #16

Ok @Christian. I ll implement this idea..

(system) #17